Composit deck how to?

boostedgtp

Has anyone built a composit deck on there house? Im looking at home depot and lowes website and there kind of vague. Is the best way to just figure out how big you want it and go there and tell them what you want? I have never built a deck before but this seems like a cool project.

Two other guys and I built a 2050 sf deck out of timber tech when it first came out a 6 or 7 years ago. It's pretty similar to real wood, but you do want to predrill and a slight countersink if you don't want a the plastic/wood to raise around the head. Check out www.timbertech.com there is a really good free deck design program on there. It gives you a very good how to as well as a complete material and cut list.

i worked at the brice rd home depot in the lumber dept for a while even went out on my days off and helped people build stuff for xtra cash on the side....its easy to build and if you go to home depot they can design it for you on a PC then tell you everything you will need material wise and also beam layouts and such.

Home depot has a program that will figure it out for you. Just go to the service desk and tell them the size and the shape of the deck and your home and the program will tell you everything you need right down to every nail.

My father-in-law just tore his old wood deck off and rebiult with the composite.He pre drilled and counter sunk just like everyone else said.It wasn't any big deal except he won't have to do it again.

Timber tech is just about top of the line made by crane plastics here in columbus. There are cheaper versions out there.

That's because its all UHMW PE, which is durt-cheep. ;)

UHMW is great in that it absorbs no moisute and its easy to drill/cut. You need pilot holes for everything, and you want to make sure that the dye used is UV resistent.

The catch it, UHMW has a very narrow temp range. You need to be carefull where you put your grill, as the stuff has a max service temp of about 180°F.

Those that have used it, did the stuff come with any kind of warning or disclaimer?