Car waxing: avoiding streaks

Berto

Well I am normally a Meguiar's NXT fan but the latest consumer report showed Black Magic was better so I bought it. And this thing streaks like hell! Anyone know how to avoid getting the streaks in the wax? I don't know if streaks are the best way to describe it. When I remove the wax it looks like there is crap still on my paint!

I use an old washrag with clean water, wipe it off and then buff. A good quality detail spray works too. My Trailblazer was black and a bitch. Now we have a black minivan....just as big a pain, but I'm not as picky on a van :o

Well I am normally a Meguiar's NXT fan but the latest consumer report showed Black Magic was better so I bought it. And this thing streaks like hell! Anyone know how to avoid getting the streaks in the wax? I don't know if streaks are the best way to describe it. When I remove the wax it looks like there is crap still on my paint!

seriously berto its worth the money.. and youll never look back

but yesterday on a car i did, after my buff and polish process, a layered meguiars tech wax, followed by NXT and mothers top coat gave it a "wetter" finish.. just doesnt last as long as zaino

Guest 614Streets

Paint probably needs polishing , I have no Idea what the black magic is , cream or carnuba but with carnuba its best to get your cloth application pad damp with water , ring it out and then apply a light coat of wax in a linear not circular pattern making sure to do a panel at a time before moving on. Wipe off in Linear patterns.

Your car is black so without actually polishing the surface itself theend result will probably be satisfactory and not excellent.

I've been reading these threads for a while and I really never believed that there was that much of a difference in waxes. I think in the next few days I'm going to try out some of these other waxes and see if I can see a difference.

Just for a proof of concept I think I'll do half the hood of my car with one wax, another half with the other.

I've been reading these threads for a while and I really never believed that there was that much of a difference in waxes. I think in the next few days I'm going to try out some of these other waxes and see if I can see a difference.

Just for a proof of concept I think I'll do half the hood of my car with one wax, another half with the other.

The only test I've done was 2 coats on 1/2 of the hood and it actually made a difference in how long it lasted.

its not only the wax, but more the process before hand.. as well as what types of wax you use, layering processes and curing times.

sometimes ill let the Meguiars NXT cure for about 4-6 hours (inside of a garage of course)

Humidity plays a role in streaking as well. Just something to keep in mind. You may try using the product again on a low humidity day and see if it performs better.

(multiple)Thinner applications as well. Most synthetics on the market today are designed to go on soo thin that there should barely be any residue on the surface while the product is drying/curing.

Since you already bought the stuff give it a second chance before throwing it out.

Andy