Tranny rebuild kits?

Guest mrhobbz

Guest mrhobbz

The tranny in my camaro is about ready to shit its guts. I was looking around and autozone has a rebuild kit for it at $134.99.

http://www.autozone.com/R,APP843288/vehicleId,2525601/initialAction,partProductDetail/store,787/partType,00680/shopping/partProductDetail.htm

The kit has the following listed:

Shallow 2 1/4 Pawn flat bottom Gasket kit, filter, intermediate brake band, 2 tang, 3/4 friction .080" (20 teeth), forward friction .078" (41 teeth), reverse input friction .070" (41 teeth), low and reverse friction .087" (25 teeth), overrun friction .078" (36 teeth), extension bushing, low and reverse steel .068" (17 t), pump bushing, 3/4 steel .106" (20 t), forward steel .090" (20 teeth), reverse input steel .078" (36 teeth), overrun steel .092" (10 teeth) *** Call 1-800-268-2368 for application verification and delivery time before ordering ***

I've never done any tranny work and I'm not too sure if I will be able to convince my father to help with it or not. Should I attempt this, have someone else do it, or buy a new tranny?

Unless you really know what you're doing, have all the tools etc, I'd leave it to the pros. I don't even have a clue what's involved with dissecting a transmission, but tranny work seems like a total bitch IMO.

I'd try and find a used, low-mileage tranny to swap in if I were you.

Guest mrhobbz
Unless you really know what you're doing, have all the tools etc, I'd leave it to the pros. I don't even have a clue what's involved with dissecting a transmission, but tranny work seems like a total bitch IMO.

I'd try and find a used, low-mileage tranny to swap in if I were you.

Yeah thats why I'm trying to con my father into doing it, he's done a few rebuilds in his time and has all of the tools to do it with. I've looked for a few used trannys and haven't had a whole lot of luck, seems like most of them all have more mileage than I'm looking for.

Guest mrhobbz
Buy a used one from a junkyard.

I don't know what I'm going to do just yet, i have to find a cheap daily before i do the swap. I don't really know if its worth purchasing at this point.

Guest mrhobbz
+1

there is a guy that can rebuld them on CR. i think anthony has his contact info.

I may hold off as I picked up a complete ls1 pullout. However, finding the garage space and a daily to get back and forth between work is becoming the problem.

Guest mrhobbz
yeah, super dick head the few times i talked to him.

I'm probably going to take it to goodale and see what they say. The code it spits out is P1870 - excesses slippage in 4th. The only time I've ever felt the tranny slip is going into 2nd, otherwise it feels fine. It also only seems to slip after driving it for a good while. Any ideas? Could it just be a valve?

Guest GMoney
Guest mrhobbz
Guest mrhobbz
Find a pro! Older non-electronic transmissions you might try, but that newer electronically controlled unit should be left to those who know how.

Buying a used on ccap has one with 80k on it for $450

Guest mrhobbz
it can be rebuilt cheeper than that. ask me how i know.

How much are you going to charge me for a rebuild then? And how long will it take? Remember, this is my work transportation.

Guest Removed

plus there are a ton of mods for the 4l80e. you can even make it full manual!

just follow the link i posted. they have them holding 1200hp!

Guest GMoney
plus there are a ton of mods for the 4l80e. you can even make it full manual!

just follow the link i posted. they have them holding 1200hp!

What about the 4l60e cause that is what is in the V6 cars...