5 grand, 11 second DSM

2highpsi

hpfiend when I use to be crazy about dsm's I use to find them for dirt cheap, I took a trip out to caifornia in 2004 and ended up buying a black awd eclipse for 300 bucks that only needed a new alt it was mint with no rust ect, It might of been luck but I have never paid over 1000 bucks for an awd dsm that ran and drove. getting into the 11's with an awd car is not hard at all on street tires. I know a guy in woodstock ohio an older guy in his late 50's that has over 20 awd/turbo dsm's he is a freak about them his name is randy benning and alot of the dsm crowd knows him because of his part hook up and cars, He has bought all 5 of my dsm's from me except for my 2g.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW from what I understand its going to take a high 9 to win even the Evo STOCK APPEARING class this year :eek:

The evo's/dsm's are on another level man, I am not even trying to be biest but the 4g63 is the baddest 4cly in the world.

Yeah I am going to make it up, but do not have anyone to go with, all my frinends that use to be into dsm's are married and have kids so it hard for them to get out, If you get a place where people can meet up and travel in a pack that would be cool. do you already have a hotel room?

If you just want to go up on Sunday we can meet up. We need to make a post in the events section to get it all together. No hotel room, as I will only be there on Sunday. I have to help with a car show saturday then go to a wedding sat evening :mad:

btw, tell them married with kids is no excuse. I am married and have 3 kids. My oldest boy who is 4 LOVES going racing. He just told my wife the other day he wants a big turbo for his birthday, lol

If you just want to go up on Sunday we can meet up. We need to make a post in the events section to get it all together. No hotel room, as I will only be there on Sunday. I have to help with a car show saturday then go to a wedding sat evening :mad:

btw, tell them married with kids is no excuse. I am married and have 3 kids. My oldest boy who is 4 LOVES going racing. He just told my wife the other day he wants a big turbo for his birthday, lol

what time do you plan on going up at? I prolly have to work fri-sun but get off at 6am sunday moring (working in correction's has weird hours) but I can just go home and shower and be back out the door by 7 and meet up with people.

I know of a such a dsm right now that is daily driven and is capable of such times, not in columbus but it's an achievable goal with these cars especially considering the tons and tons of cheap parts that are just laying around.

I had 2 turbo fwd cars and though both never made a lot of power I drove the shit out of them and never had any issues, the people that tell you bad things about them are typically the idiots that owned them and just didn't have a clue on how to build or maintain one.

Like Jones said, most owners just slapped some shit on the cars, beat the shit out of them, broke them, and then whined about the lousy reliability when it was their own damn fault. A dsm can be as reliable as any car, mine were.

same with my cars Ive had a 98 and 97 gst and over 5 awd 1g's since 2000 my 97 I modded a did right the first time and it was 350hp and I put over 50k miles on it and daily drove it, and did my share of racing in it. I always bought 1g's that where mint and owned by douchebags that could never do anything right with the car. I did all the basic stuff like timing belt, bs belt, fluid changes, and tune ups , over time I took out the carpet, and interior of the older cars washed them by hand with soap and water, put everything back in and looked like it was brand new. within a month after buying any of the cars I did it looked a thousand times better then when the pervious owners had them. I had to do so much re doing of previous crap work, you do not know how many times I had to take guages out of stock cars, crappy painted valve covers, janky ass ebay parts ect ect. One thing I never did was buy cars that were rust buckets, I always looked for cars that guys rat fucked trying to mod them and just gave up that had awsome bodys just issues with engines or motors. I always had better luck buying cars out of state either down south or out west.

same with my cars Ive had a 98 and 97 gst and over 5 awd 1g's since 2000 my 97 I modded a did right the first time and it was 350hp and I put over 50k miles on it and daily drove it, and did my share of racing in it. I always bought 1g's that where mint and owned by douchebags that could never do anything right with the car. I did all the basic stuff like timing belt, bs belt, fluid changes, and tune ups , over time I took out the carpet, and interior of the older cars washed them by hand with soap and water, put everything back in and looked like it was brand new. within a month after buying any of the cars I did it looked a thousand times better then when the pervious owners had them. I had to do so much re doing of previous crap work, you do not know how many times I had to take guages out of stock cars, crappy painted valve covers, janky ass ebay parts ect ect. One thing I never did was buy cars that were rust buckets, I always looked for cars that guys rat fucked trying to mod them and just gave up that had awsome bodys just issues with engines or motors. I always had better luck buying cars out of state either down south or out west.

Same kinda thing with the old supras. Blah blah, rod knock, blah blah, blown headgasket. From the factory, the torque is too low for the head. Has nothing to do with the actual motor, etc. And then the rod knock complaint. It's because you don't fucking change/add oil like you should or people buy an almost 20yr old turbo car (that probably wasn't taken care of like a turbo car should anyway) slap some mods on without proper maintenance or build and wonder why these issues happen. Do it right or learn your lesson.

While I agree that part of the problem with DSMs is shitty owners, that doesn't make them reliable cars.

If you're trying to go fast for cheap, a DSM is going to break. AWD + 3000lbs + clutch = broken shit.

End of story.

Guest Addicted2Boost
Jordan u have ur kid brain washed w shit LOL.. not really cuz he does love the WRX to!! The BIG thing that he forgot to mention is that the kid will take FOREVER to get this car done.. So prolly in the year 2020 it will b done! lol. Does cranking the boost up to 20 lbs sound familiar Jordan (TIZZI)?? With this car i think itll b possible solid body and good motor. Driver just needs a lil kick in the ass helpin get shit done. And i do agree with Kenny also. That weight does take a toll on the tanny and transfer case.

While I agree that part of the problem with DSMs is shitty owners, that doesn't make them reliable cars.

If you're trying to go fast for cheap, a DSM is going to break. AWD + 3000lbs + clutch = broken shit.

End of story.

edit: you are right, anything making that kind of power can and will have some failures.

A good clutch and pre-loading the drivetrain = no shit broken.

Shock destroys drivetrains. Preloading eliminates that shock. You also have to have a good feel for the car. If you feel like its going to start wheel hopping, let out and give up on the run.

Yes Doug, we did learn a lot the hard way.... I know we did stupid shit, but we never blamed the failures on the platform. I know it was all my stupid ass fault.

Don't be scared of the launches buddy, the one we did the other day is how we are doing er from now on. I think Bill will be able to do it after a few trys.

You can't put fast and reliable in the same sentence.. especially when DSM is in there too :)
That is BS.

Jordan do NOT take this wrong OK :cool:

A DSM "can" be a relible 11sec when the Right parts are used and you DONT skimp out of the good things that are needed to properly get the job done.

End of story.

shep tranny! no broken tranny ever end of story and have you ever launched an awd, you dont just dump the clutch lol my friends 11 second 20g 3 bolt 1g is still on its stock tranny with 109k because he uses the 2 step right and preloads the driveline. He does just not stage the car stops and dumps it at 8k like a dumb dick would do.

Sounds like the 4g63 is 13b's long lost cousin, except the RX-7 is more handsome ;)

Not by a long shot, 4G's didn't just blow up after 50k miles when stock, let alone modified(though the n/a cars seemed to hold up sometimes). ;)