No more 1320 feet for Top fuel and Funny car in NHRA!

ChevyMan1972

They just need to restrict tracks that don't have a long enough shut down. No sense in doing it to well build and planned out tracks with more than 1/2-mile shut down + sand pits.

As far as safety nets or cables, that is possible. Carriers aren't the only places that have them. They have been on runways all over the world for decades and could be modified to work with Top Fuel.

MA1A or BAK12--> http://www.copac.es/direcciones/ANAMA/cables.pdf

I've seen aircraft take them at high speeds, no reason a car modified setup couldn't work.

this is not the answer. the post just above this post and in many different posts before this one said it very well. this is not the answer. i hate this. i am glad its interm but for how long? they need to find a fail safe for the fail safes. longer runoffs if a track cant have a longer run off well swry to say it but if you cant grow with the sport you get left behind. just like the cars and drivers racing each other. they have to keep up with the times and tech the track owners need to as well.

also something i just thought of... you are going to see more hole shot wins now. shorter track means they dont have as much room to run 'em down.

they have big nets!

(edit:never mind someone posted pics of one)

Jim Head is apparently looking at some aircraft stopping systems that show promise.

Dan weavers dad prolly would provide more info on that!!!

Head lives about 200 feet from my home!

Jim in crazy flys stunt planes as well.

Guest 614Streets
Ok so Instead of doing the right thing and building tracks that are wider and longer with modern crash walls , the NHRA is going to knock 320 feet off. These people ought to be shot for their ignorance.

This is the dumbest thing I have heard of to date, beside paying an extra 10 dollars at Norwalk to sit down to watch the NHRA race. Here is the plan, drop any venue that does not have sufficient run off/shut down time, now will the loss of revenue make them step up for the proper build or out of the NHRA loop totally. As stated, a 1000 ft race would not have helped Kaletta, watch the vid, motor tossed around 1000, little later perhaps. Since I have been into drag racing, its been nothing but quarter mile, 8th mile is fun but I have never put any faith nor thought into 8th mile speeds and ETs. Feels like a warm up, not a race, its over before it starts.

It's a short trem, temporary solution until they can better decide what to do. I'm sure they're getting some heat to do something in the short term at least. I hope this will not become permanent next year.

Most of the complaints from the small teams are stretched IMO. True the cars mostly blow up near the 1320'. But you know quite well that they'll be tuned to the edge even more now and will just start blowing up at 990'. This will make it even more competitive and tighter (possibly more dangerous IMO)

meh I'm not a fan. I don't think it would have helped Scott in his case. If his engine had blown at 1000 ft, he still would have been going almost 300 mph and been going way to fast into the kitty litter. It was the lack of a blossomed chute and probably being knocked unconscience that killed him. I think they need to focus on the parachutes and a better netting system at the end of the track. If they can safely catch fighter jets on a aircraft carrier deck, they can catch a car at the end of a track.

Completely agree.

It's a short trem, temporary solution until they can better decide what to do. I'm sure they're getting some heat to do something in the short term at least. I hope this will not become permanent next year.

Most of the complaints from the small teams are stretched IMO. True the cars mostly blow up near the 1320'. But you know quite well that they'll be tuned to the edge even more now and will just start blowing up at 990'. This will make it even more competitive and tighter (possibly more dangerous IMO)

they wont blow up as much that last 320 is so hard cause they are up there in the rpms... tires spining blower speeds go up motors go boom... the track at 60ft and 330 and 1/8 will only hold the same amount of power as it did at if they were goin 1320 cant really push them harder to go 1000ft

i agree that the technology of the cars have increased but the tracks haven't. trails has been largely the same for the past 10+ years and if you don't count the tower, staging lanes etc....we could be talking closer to 20 years.