Apple Guys....

Akula

Ok, I have an older mac 2.2GHZ MBPro.

I am getting a new mac 2.4GHZ MBPro.

I want all my applications, all data and all VMs to move over seamlessly. I have been told I can

A.) use carbon copy cloner

B.) plug in my time machine backup drive when I first start my new mac and use migration assistant

C.) boot the new mac from the dvd and do a time machine restore from my backup drive

D.) boot old machine as target and use migration assistant

I am pretty sure I have been given some suggestions other than these but I am sort of full.

So, what would you do?

You should buy "Time capsule" also with the New MB pro, Hook up "Time Capsule" as your router, save all your stuff from the old MB Pro on the "Time Capsule" and pull it off "Time Capsule" wirelessly to the new notebook. "Time Capsule" will auto backup the New MB Pro wirelessly everyday to the "Time Capsule" Harddrive. Freakin thing is sweet. 500GB or 1Tb capacity Wireless N wireless networking.

You should buy "Time capsule" also with the New MB pro, Hook up "Time Capsule" as your router, save all your stuff from the old MB Pro on the "Time Capsule" and pull it off "Time Capsule" wirelessly to the new notebook. "Time Capsule" will auto backup the New MB Pro wirelessly everyday to the "Time Capsule" Harddrive. Freakin thing is sweet. 500GB or 1Tb capacity Wireless N wireless networking.

Of course I am doing exactly the same thing via a USB cable to a WD passport drive.

Of course I am doing exactly the same thing via a USB cable to a WD passport drive.

Why mess with that when Lepoard can do it for you on it's own, if you are upgrading the laptop with another expensive mac, what's another $330 or so? Might as well take advantage of the new products..... Doesn't your new mac have a Wireless N card in it?

Why mess with that when Lepoard can do it for you on it's own, if you are upgrading the laptop with another expensive mac, what's another $330 or so? Might as well take advantage of the new products..... Doesn't your new mac have a Wireless N card in it?

My old mac has a wireless N card in it.

I like the passport drive, plug it in and BANG my backup runs automagically.

Plus, I am not home that much so carrying that big time capsule box around is bulky and the passport drive is not.

My old mac has a wireless N card in it.

I like the passport drive, plug it in and BANG my backup runs automagically.

Plus, I am not home that much so carrying that big time capsule box around is bulky and the passport drive is not.

I understand now if you are not home much. Yeah it makes no sense in that circumstance.

I have had good results with the migration assistant, though I have not gone from tiger -> leopard. Are both on 10.5?

When you pull out the new macbook, it will have a couple prompts. When you get to the "new account" section, you have the option to migrate, which is what I would tryt first. Your only expense is a firewire cable, and the source machine stays untouched should you need to try a different method.

*out of curiosity, what are you using for VMs? Parallels? Fusion?

I have both Parallels and VM Fusion installed. The VM is a windows 2003 server, Linux for a few applications I write training for and asterisk. Parallels is for XP (two applications that mac doesn't do, visio and adobe captivate).

Well, I got the new machine. Did a time machine backup of the old one and before I turned the new one on I plugged the drive in. Booted the new one, migration assistant asked if I wanted to recover from that backup, BANG all applications and data moved over in about 2 hours.