Blow off valve placement and Tech Help

BDHG940

I am just curious, on my newest project we are running this car with a blow through maf. The maf location is about 16"-18 from the throttle body I would say. the I would say if you back track from there, there might be around 14" from that the BOV. Basically the BOV is maybe 6" from the outlet on the intercooler. Is there any idea spot or true specs to go by with placement of the maf and bov?

I know we need to keep the maf in a straigh section of tubing but is there any area or specific distance away from the throttle body that I should know of?

There aren't any specs to my knowledge. My MAF is about 8 inches from the throttle body. My bov is right behind the passenger side fog light. I'd say with your placement you'll be fine.

The key to success with a MAF based system lies within one thing: developing laminar flow. There are no limitations regarding distances from the throttle. Constant pipe diameter is optimal, no sudden transitions, and if transitions are used they should not have greater then 15 degree angles.

The general rule of thumb is the MAF should be in a section of piping 2x in length as it's diameter.

Like Hal said, you're going to have to watch how the car reacts and position from there.

2 bovs would be ideal, one right off the turbo and one as close to the tb as possible....thats what I had on the neon and no turbo surging for me!

With a blow thru setup? Wouldn't the post MAF bov create a rich condition by releasing air after it has been metered?

With a blow thru setup? Wouldn't the post MAF bov create a rich condition by releasing air after it has been metered?

well if there was just one off the turbo and then right after the intercooler, it would be fine. The maf isnt until after both of those positions so I dont think it would matter since there isnt any metered air yet.

Hal, we heard you tonight in the cobra, a few of us were at graters. Sounded good, you were gone before we could catch you to see the setup. How did tuning go with your setup, did brian tune?

You want the BOV to be as close to the TB as possible. Youre MAF should be as close to the air filter as possible... look at any factory turbo car... they are all set up pretty much the same. The only real exception youll see is cars (like mine actully) that have BPV's on the compressor housing itself. It does 2 things instead of one. Rather than only venting that compressed air so it doesnt burn the turbo up, it also vents that air right back infront of the compressor wheel, at angle that keeps the wheel spooled up.

Yea that was mike parked in front of me up there

On a blow through setup I really dont know how you could put the maf before the filter since the filter is on the turbo itself