STI Gas Mileage?

Wease

Then why do the Audi A4 2.0T Quattros get such good mileage? Even modded like Jones's...hell, his gets better mileage than stock putting down numbers approaching 300 to the wheels w/ a downpipe and tune.

thats an awesome question, the audi a4's awd system isn't always engaged as the wrx's is. the audi is more refined and therefor more effecient!

Just to chime in here

when my STI was stock with just a TBE it put down 318HP with no tune. I could consitintly get 22+ if i only drove freeway and never touched boost. Thats the trick Just keeping the revs low dosent mean good gas milage. i have had better luck with running in a little higher gear rather than a low gear and runing on boost to accelerate if that make sense. It is easy for me to see because i have a digital boost gauge. Just my .02

Now i have a

FP Red 8cm

850cc injectors

TGV's Deletes

FMIC

255 pump

TBE no cat

I see about 20is if i stay out of boost which is easy now that i dont spool up untill 3800. If i get into boost i see about 8. Thats the fun shit :)

Mike what fucked up dyno was that? I understand what matters is difference in numbers from baseline to final tune, but talk about a high reading Dyno, he'll stock STIs barely put down 200 on buschur's mustang Dyno. I feel that the mustang dyno is the most acutate though.

Mike what fucked up dyno was that? I understand what matters is difference in numbers from baseline to final tune, but talk about a high reading Dyno, he'll stock STIs barely put down 200 on buschur's mustang Dyno. I feel that the mustang dyno is the most acutate though.

I agree that dynos run a little diffrent, but no stock sti puts down 200 i ran on dyno packs and id like to think that it read about 20hp more than it should

200hp is really low for a car that is rated at 298hp at the the crank

heres a link to a stock STI on a mustang dyno at 260

http://img236.imageshack.us/my.php?image=stidyno3webresized4zk.jpg

So assume that TBE frees up a little more power if dyno packs read 30hp higher then thats 290 and then 28hp for the TBE maybe a little high but it was a cool day and my car was cold.

I was just informing not disagreeing, i have always heard mustand dynos are good. But i think that 200 is a little far fetched for an STI. Maybe a WRX?

Back OT i get what i get. Its not like i have to make up a story to impress you guys about gas milage. I Get 20+ if i stay out of the gas but i never do because its an STI and i love to drive it. :D

Long story short dont buy or drive a perfomance car if your scared about gas. If you want to roll a car like that then your going to have to adjust to spending money on gas.

Not trying to be a dick, just being logocal here.

For a TRUE at the wheels number 200 doesn't seem far off. Thats 33% loss through an all wheel drive drivetrain.

What numbers are a mustang giving you then? i thought a mustang was one of the best becaseu it gave a true at the wheels number.

What numbers are a mustang giving you then? i thought a mustang was one of the best becaseu it gave a true at the wheels number.

It does, when properly calibrated. Thats why spaceghost said that stock STIs put down 200 on the Buschur dyno (which is a mustang). His is dang close to true at the wheel hp numbers. A 298 hp car putting down 200 at the wheels through an all wheel drive drivetrain sounds like its right. I know of other Mustang dynos that would put stock STIs around 250. I do not believe that they are properly calibrated though.

Edit: I have seen people change settings on a dyno and show a 200hp car lay down over 400 for example.

Back OT i get what i get. Its not like i have to make up a story to impress you guys about gas milage. I Get 20+ if i stay out of the gas but i never do because its an STI and i love to drive it. :D

Long story short dont buy or drive a perfomance car if your scared about gas. If you want to roll a car like that then your going to have to adjust to spending money on gas.

Not trying to be a dick, just being logocal here.

It hurts to put premium in it though. I cringe everytime I need to fill up (1-2 times weekly) but I love the car, so I guess you gotta pay to play.

Off topic, sorry: I'm just wondering what our old Civic would have read on another type of dyno when it read 358 on the mustang. Any ideas/formulas?

Off topic, sorry: I'm just wondering what our old Civic would have read on another type of dyno when it read 358 on the mustang. Any ideas/formulas?

Depends on how the dyno was calibrated. A factory calibrated Mustang can read sometimes 15-20% lower than a dynojet.

It also depends on if the Mustang dyno has a weather station hooked up for correcting numbers too

My stg 2 off the shelf map that was tweaked by Tim for our area, put down 244 for my base line, That is 1 step colder plugs, Cobb DownPipe, Prodrive axle Back and 93 Octane. SO I'm sure I would have been 200-210 on Buschur's Dyno, their dyno is not known as "the heart breaker dyno" for nothing. But I feel it is "real world" accurate.

FTR I paid 4.319 on my last fill up. I didn't even get mad. :) I just try to drive less. Anyway, I posted real world proof of 18-21 MPG. I challenge anyone with a STI to record your millage and gas spending as I have on http://www.columbusgasprices.com and prove me different. Just be honest and don't fudge numbers.

I did once get 371 miles on a tank, I drove to Road America in Elkhart Lake Wisconsin. I filled up in Upper Sandusky 23, I made it to the very north end of Milwalkee, Wisconsin.(23 to 75 to 80/90 through Chicago) That was 72MPH and cruise was set. No stopping all freeway. We slowed down to 55 in Chicago but that was the only change in speed. 371/15gal=24.73333. I was almost out of gas, we were nervous. But I like to play the how far can you go game. :) 25 MPG would be never stopping or ideling.....

Mine isn't and STi, but same engine...

Catless ERZ uppipe

Cobb Catted downpipe

Perrin TMIC

1 step colder plugs

AVO Wastegate actuator

Cobb Stg. 2 93oct OTS map

Muffler deletes

Avg. 23 MPG mixed driving 50/50

I can hit 28-29 MPH on road trips (interstate) with the cruise set to 72 MPH.

Mine isn't and STi, but same engine...

Catless ERZ uppipe

Cobb Catted downpipe

Perrin TMIC

1 step colder plugs

AVO Wastegate actuator

Cobb Stg. 2 93oct OTS map

Muffler deletes

Avg. 23 MPG mixed driving 50/50

I can hit 28-29 MPH on road trips (interstate) with the cruise set to 72 MPH.

no AVCS for you! Almost the same motor.

I knew STi's weren't gas misers, but this is an interesting thread. I'd love to get 18mpg.....but I do 98% suburban drives with near zero freeway. I don't flog her, but I drive ethusiastically and live in the mid range of rpms rarely approaching redline but then never loafing either. 13-14mpg with 12's in the winter. She will pull 26-28mpg at 75mph though :)

Sorry to take it off topic as it relates to brand....but the STi/Evo is a consideration I'm having.

seem to be cheaper for sure.....I've seen a couple 08's at the auctions out west for $24-$26k wholesale :eek: Even retail low mileage ones are $27k. I like the look of the new ones. Guy at my office has one.

Evo is cheaper and easier to mod.

As far as being cheaper, I think he was referring to the price of mods. An 04 Evo will run you more than an 04 STI for example. The 08s are pretty cheap though because the X isn't going over well. I have seen quite a few used 06 IX's bring 30k plus

with 1000cc inj. and twin 255 pumps and over 600whp i still get 24-25mpg if i keep my foot out of it.

I think the trick with your car is the big turbo and lag to help the fuel consumption. STI and EVO with stock turbo are horrible on gas wether they're tuned or not.

I have seen 21 mpg ONCE! I have an 06 Sti. This is full tank average. I drive a mix of highway and city. Probably more city though. This is all stock, for only a couple days longer...

The Sti is NOT for anyone who cares about gas mileage.