How to organize a autocross.

thorne

This year for one reason or another I've yet to get the WRX out to xcross. What would it take to organize a CR Charity Autocross? I've been out with the miate club before, Maybe someone from here knows how they set that up.

In the past OVR (local SCCA region) has rented pylons and timers to other groups - particularly if some SCCA members are involved. It has to go before the regional board though. Considering the antics on public streets of some CR members recently, it may be a tough sell.

The Ohio Historical center has allowed the use of their lot for the Miata club, Porsche club has been at OSU. National trails has had other groups (usually associated with other events at Trails) hold autocrosses on their lots. I don't know of any other groups that use Cooper.

I suppose step one would be to have an "official" CR representative approach the lot holders to see if they will allow the use of the lot and at what cost. Second step would be to secure cones and timing equipment (SCCA, PCA, Miata club, etc.) Third, decide on a set of rules to use. Finally, get enough people to show up to make it worthwhile.

Just seems easier to piggyback with an existing group and run and event within an event. We are "unofficially" running the CR PAX Challenge within the SCCA events for anyone that wants to play along.

I would love to try out autox

BTW I think just the opposite about the recent events affecting something like this. Everyone wants to bitch and wine about stuff going down on the streets, putting on such an event could be spun to make it look like someone doing good to keep it OFF the streets.

This would be difficult. You need an insurance policy, equipment to run the event(or rent the gear), a large enough lot to hold the event etc.....etc....

Our SCCA region already holds a charity event every year that benefits a cancer research fund. Our best bet would be to get as many members as possible to attend, items and/or $ to donate for the silent auction for this event even those that can't/don't go to the event.

I can talk with the region chair and see what he says about all this and maybe getting some press coverage if we can make it happen.

They purchased cones, timing equipment, insurance policy, rented a lot out, started a website(we'd have that covered) etc....Hence why I suggested we try and join an established system as it's a lot of work. This way people could just show up and race and have fun.

I would really like to find a way to do this. the reason I don't care for SCCA events is you don't get that many passes. I would prefer a private event.

If we have a way to get involved with someone else that would be great.

Dude, someone brought out a Yugo with a side pipe. I bet your car ain't got shit on it in terms of shittiness.

My car pulls to the right under light braking...ABS valve is destroyed. Sometimes the abs engages for too long.

I was trying to organize a autocross for the local Cobra replica club event. 1 of the only places that I was able to work something out with was the ohio historical society. The agreement was , the club putting the autox on had to have a $ 1 million liability policy just in case something happened to the grounds or a spectator. The cost of renting the historical society parking lot was alot of $ also { I cannot remember but it was around 500- 700 dollars } . On top of that you will need cones ,timing equipment , a trailer to haul everything around, somewhere to store all of the equipment and many things that I cannot think about at this time. You would also have to arrive at 6 am set up the course and then your day will not be done til you have torn down the course and loaded everything into the trailer. You will also have to work the course .

I would say total cost to put on 1 autox every 6 weeks or so may end up costing 3thousand dollars a year. That is alot of money for just a few guys to pay when they can go somewhere else and just show up and run.

It is alot of work to do , but it would be fun .

I would really like to find a way to do this. the reason I don't care for SCCA events is you don't get that many passes. I would prefer a private event.

If we have a way to get involved with someone else that would be great.

Go to the fun day at the end of the season and you will get more runs.