98 Chevy Malibu Random Misfire What To Check???

CJINOHIO03

My friend has a 98 Chevy Malibu V6 3100 with about 200k miles. It will randomly start running like shit like it is misfiring etc. Sometimes if you shut it off and re start it will stop doing it. Most of the time the check engine light doesnt come but it did the other day. I checked the obd codes and it came up 0300 cylinder misfire.

It didnt say what cylinder it is and the manual for code checker said it could be a lot of different things. It has been running ok the last few days though. One day it started sputtering but didnt through the code again. She doesnt want to throw a lot of money into it. What should be checked? replaced etc? I think it has the orignal plug wires but has had the plugs changed before. Thanks CJ

200k with original wires? That would likly be the first to go. Anyways check the tune up stuff, plugs, wires, corrosion on the coils. Could be a sensor going bad though. Car with that many miles on it kind of leaves guessing out the window. Having an experienced tech watch live data on a scan tool could point you in the right direction. Best of luck.

ok just checked with them the plug wires might not be oem, but havent been changed in at least 150,000. I might change the plugs and wires for them. Is that a good start? Whats involved in getting the back plugs? It doesnt rock forward like some of the older 3100 cars.

Guest Removed
it tough to do the rears with big arms...normally dont have a issue. just dont cross thread them.as you change the wires, do them one at a time. and check the coil towers for buildup. if so just replace the coils and module. once the wires get weak, the coild fire thru the module and destroy it.

Well changed the plugs seems to be idling and running better. Drove it around for two days and no problem. Third day with the ac on it started running even worse like it wouldnt hardly move at all even with the gas floored. Not sure what do now plug wires?

Well you could measure resistance in the wires. Sounds like it might be worse than that. The injectors have a tendency to go bad in those engines, but like previously stated it's pretty hard to tell over the internet.