Broadband Access Devices?

UNV MI Z

The wife and I are looking at buying a house in a rural area that has no cable/dsl possibilities for internet. So I have been looking at other options. The one I keep coming back to are the Broadband access devices from companies like Verizon and Sprint.

However, I know nothing about these and was wondering what everyone else's opinions of them are. I see there are options such as USB modems/Air cards, etc.. Is one better than the other? What should I be looking for?

I would assume that the speeds on these aren't great, but are surely better than say dial-up. I would also assume that connectivity and speed depends on what kind of service the area has. I have a verizon phone right now, and out at the property I only get 1 or 2 bars, so not great reception. I would guess that this would also have an effect on my ability to access the internet via one of the above mentioned devices?

Basically, I trying to search for what options are out there for my situation. I know nothing about this stuff so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks fellas..

If you're talking about using a cell-based broadband, the antenna you use doesn't really matter. What does matter if often providers will offer an "unlimited" plan that is absolutely not unlimited. Most are capped at 5GB of transfer, and will charge you per Kb or Mb after. Which if you're using a lot of video or download a lot, you will eat it up fast. If you just web-surf, probably not so much an issue. Though as more bandwidth intensive sites pop up in the Web 2.0 world, that may not be the case within a couple years.

^ Im using sprint as well by the way. RevA. is quick up and down. Throughput tests put me consistently over 900kbs down and over 400kbs up. Though I am using my cell as a modem, when I am out. Definitely not my main connection.

sol740 - Yes, I'm referring to cell based broadband.

V8KILR - Thanks for the link. I briefly looked into satellite internet, but there pricing seems a bit rediculous. Plus, I have heard nothing but bad things regarding satellite internet.

I am considering Sprint right now, as it appears that they have a little better coverage at the house compared to Verizon. And as someone mentioned, it seems that all the companies have a monthly limit of 5gb.

Regarding that, since I'm pretty much computer stupid, is 5gb a month enough for normal web surfing/ etc. ?? I don't download much, just mainly surf the net and do some research. I guess I just don't know how 5gb relatively stacks up to general web stuff.

Thanks for the input so far everyone.

Regarding that, since I'm pretty much computer stupid, is 5gb a month enough for normal web surfing/ etc. ?? I don't download much, just mainly surf the net and do some research. I guess I just don't know how 5gb relatively stacks up to general web stuff.

Checking emails, and doing some normal web-surfing shouldn't be too bad. Its when you get into some downloading, or streaming media content that 5GB of transfer shrinks pretty quick. Also lots of flash websites, or other web2.0 interfaces tend to suck up more bandwidth than good ol' HTML. If you do get the service there are many downloadable programs that can track your usage so you don't accidentally go over the limit. The ISP may even provide one.

I use a Kyocera KR2 with a pcmcia EVDO card in it from Verizon. It has piles of latency, but probably not as bad as satellite.

I did get IDSL installed, 144K (syncronous) and it is much lower latency.

Bandwidth Delay Product is the measure of real thru-put not the up/down speed. I can get REV-A speeds when I am not home as most Rev-A enabled towers are near densly packed areas.

I have a complete hughes set up at my house i have never used. It was here when I bought the house 5 years ago. My friend has hughes now. it does suck, when the clouds are thick.