I recovered my dirtbike seat

12oclocker

I figured out recovering a dirtbike seat is HARD work, especially if you buy the vinyl material yourself, I bought thicker material than the stock seat, which made is extremely hard to stretch over the seat, I traced the stock seat sew pattern, and sew the vinyl with the same pattern, another tough part is the staples, no electric or manual staple gun I had would penetrate the hard plastic, I had to push each staple in by hand with a pair of plyers. I like the black much better than the stock red seat. here's some pics...

finished seat

xr80r.jpg

my seat cover design...

newseat.jpg

stock seat cover...

oldseat.jpg

thanks, lol, thats my downstairs I remodeled, I still haven't figured out what to do with the downstairs, it used to be a recording studio for my band, but since my band broke up, I bring in the bike to work on them in the warmth, lol!

I've done seats, it's difficult to get them proper tight enough, and stay centered etc. Yours looks excellent. Did you use a sewing machine for that?

edit: oops, I can see it in the one picture. Is it something heavy duty?

I think the sewing machine cost around 200 at walmart, I got it for the wife a long time ago, its just a standard one, she never uses it, I always end up using it for all kinds of crazy stuff like this, lol. I set the stitching pattern on the machine really narrow, so the stitches are a lot stronger than the oem seat was.

I've tried to do some uppholstery work, I'm not great at it.

yours looks great, good job.

My dad had the funniest seat recovering story ever...

he had a chopper (bicycle) when he was a kid, long forks, banana seat, slick back tire.

the seat got a huge tear in it, so he decided to recover it with an old pair of jeans. I guess it looked pretty cool by itself, but it looked completely inappropriate when he would ride it with a pair if jeans on....LOL