With Giant Eagle around....

Putty

Why didnt you just to tell a manager, like a normal human would?

Cause I am not a normal human....../post

They are very controlled medicines and are re-written every 30 days. Plus 30 gallons of gas lasts them a month each. Why are you trying to argue this with me? They are retired and live on a farm and hardly ever go anywhere. longest trip they take is once a month from their house in SE Delaware County to my house in Blacklick

Ahhh, gotcha!

No, but I can fault them for setting "contracts" with companies, then changing the terms mid-game, forcing the supply companies out of business.

Need a link proof of this.

Publix > * (unfortunately none in Ohio though :( )

I have yet to find a grocery store that does a better job then them. One of the first chains (after Wal*Mart) to do $4 generic drugs, awesome meat/dairy/seafood/produce, and prices are as low as they get with frequent sales to keep the product moving.

The close second is ALDI'S. Only problem being is that they have a limited selection of goods, but it's probably 75% of everything a typical American family consumes. Plus, the stuff is usually private label brands, great quality, and a half to two-thirds the price of the other stores.

my wife shops at giant eagle...she had 2.80 off gas and I got gas for $1.08 a gallon....i filled my 30 gallon truck for 32 bucks

And you filled your pantry for $1400 (the amount required to get a 2.80/gal discount on gas.) I live within walking distance of both a Meijer and Giant Eagle, and after shopping at both for a fair share I can say hands down that if I spent $1316 at Meijer it would go a LOT farther than $1400 would at Giant Eagle (the discount you earned by spending $1400 was $84.) Same goes for Kroger, they both tease you with that petty little gas discount and make up for it times ten when they get you to buy food there. Consumer awareness is a good thing!

Tile floors and fancy aprons be damned, I am going to fill my pantry with the best priced food, it all comes from the same place.

edit: Oh yeah, almost forgot Giant Eagle was on my lifetime shitlist ever since they bought out Big Bear and proceeded to close the Mill Run and Roberts Rd stores, pin down the buildings (stopping any redevelopment,) thus causing the shopping plazas to turn into vacant scars on my city.

And you filled your pantry for $1400 (the amount required to get a 2.80/gal discount on gas.) I live within walking distance of both a Meijer and Giant Eagle, and after shopping at both for a fair share I can say hands down that if I spent $1316 at Meijer it would go a LOT farther than $1400 would at Giant Eagle (the discount you earned by spending $1400 was $84.) Same goes for Kroger, they both tease you with that petty little gas discount and make up for it times ten when they get you to buy food there. Consumer awareness is a good thing!

Tile floors and fancy aprons be damned, I am going to fill my pantry with the best priced food, it all comes from the same place.

edit: Oh yeah, almost forgot Giant Eagle was on my lifetime shitlist ever since they bought out Big Bear and proceeded to close the Mill Run and Roberts Rd stores, pin down the buildings (stopping any redevelopment,) thus causing the shopping plazas to turn into vacant scars on my city.

Big Bear closed before any of the stores (read: buildings) were bought. They closed when Penn Traffic filed for their second bankruptcy in 10 years. We did a study on Big Bear in college.

Big Bear closed before any of the stores (read: buildings) were bought. They closed when Penn Traffic filed for their second bankruptcy in 10 years. We did a study on Big Bear in college.

The story I heard was that GE bought those stores outright in 2004, from what I remember they were all open for business up until then. Source?

The story I heard was that GE bought those stores outright in 2004, from what I remember they were all open for business up until then. Source?

You can find it all over the place, Giant Eagle and Kroger bought locations, not stores....

In 1989, a New York Investment Banker named Gary D. Hirsch took over Big Bear in a leveraged buyout. He borrowed an extravagant amount of money to buy the chain, paid himself an enormous bonus for doing so, and then slapped the debt service onto the chain. This type of transaction was common in the 1980's, and as certainly as it enriched Hirsch, it also destroyed the company. Quite simply, because Big Bear had to make massive debt payments, it couldn't lower prices to compete when Meijer, and then later Wal-Mart, moved into the grocery business. It was all over by the end of 2003. While Giant Eagle and Kroger cherry-picked some of the better Columbus locations, most former stores locations remain unused or under-utilized. Hirsch split after things went south

http://www.tallgeorge.com/Big%20Bear%20Stores.htm

These are the locations that were sold by Penn Traffic, but the assets only were sold, not the brand...

Penn Traffic Sales of Big Bear Supermarkets

Announced on December 5, 2003

Sold to Giant Eagle

City and State Address County

Columbus, OH 280 East Whittier Street Franklin

Columbus, OH 1451 West Fifth Avenue Franklin

Columbus, OH 1798 Kingsdale Center Franklin

Columbus, OH 2801 North High Street Franklin

Columbus, OH 777 Neil Avenue Franklin

Marietta, OH 128 Frontier Shopping Center Washington

Newark, OH 553 Hebron Road Licking

Sold to Needler Enterprises, Inc.

Chillicothe, OH 660 Central Center Ross

Sold to Bob Bay & Son Co.

The Plains, OH 70 North Plains Road Athens

These were the locations bought during bankruptcy, subject to anti-trust laws. If any others were bought, it was after everything was said and done. The Big Bear space in County Line in Westerville was bought back by the shopping center owner after bankruptcy

I dont like all the foreigners at meijer...and my wife likes Giant Eagle. i spend so much in gas that it really doesnt matter anyway.Plus i make enough for it not to matter either ;)

Which is still empty and that must hurt....

The idiot has chased 2 businesses away...

first was a Publix, which he raised the rent by 45% towards the end of the contract negotiation

then there was a china food buffet that he chased off because he said there wasn't enough parking.

No bites since those 2. From what I hear what he is asking for that space is way above market rate.

kinda funny that we are talking about GE gas. I stopped in at byers subaru to talk to a sales guy I know and we started talking gas prices and mileage on certain subarus. Then he tells me that a number of subarus had been in with gas related problems all traced back to GE gas. Guys in the subaru service department even went and pumped some into a glass jar to check it out. Lets just say I cant even believe that a car will run on that crap. While holding it up to the light I could barely see through the jar. Granted it could just bad gas but you could also be getting what you paid for. All cars with problems were turbo models which require 92+ so that doesnt help the issue.