ATTN Networking Nerds

Lustalbert

I need a better router. My curent one is failing me.

Required:

Built in wireless.

At least 4 ports, 8 would be swell.

Whatever size it takes, rackmount is bonus.

I want to limit wireless acess by MAC adress. If I dont have your MAC adress programed in, you get nothing. No internets, no local network, you dont even get a packet back to tell you to get fucked.

I would like to be able to see the mac adresses that are trying to connect, so I can enable and disable them on a whim, and I dont need to manualy type them in.

Something that can reliably handle some bandwidth without slowing down or getting confused. Not needing reset every 3 days would be nice as well.

Security is good. Good security is better.

I would like to replace this thing by the weekend.

Thanks

It is Geeks, not Nerds.

Kyocera KR2 is pretty bullet proof as far as my new fav wireless enabled router. Plus it can either be wired or EVDO Internet backhaul.

The Mac thing is probably the worst security scheme you can come up with. WPA2-PSK with a very strong PSK is as good as you are going to get without enabling radius/.1x on your network.

If I sniff your network and cannot get in, I can still see your mac address as the sending BSSID. If you aren't using Auth, you aren't doing much to protect yourself.

I have a commercial grade Aruba box here that does everything you said. $2000 with 2 APs. $4000 if you want 802.11n.

I am planning to run WPA as well, Just want the MAC filtering to help keep the ametures from even trying.

2k is a little more than I was looking to spend, if we can keep it below $200, that would be good.

Edit ~ I dont need 11n / draft / ect. 11G is plenty. I dont need gigabit either, 100 will sufice.

I like the older linksys stuff. Cisco made a play that I don't quite understand and aren't doing it very well IMHO.

I have an open source WRTG54, but I don't use it much.

The problem with residential stuff is that marketting is driving the perception of need, not the technology itself.

If technology were the driving factor, WPA2 (Standard 802.11i) would be the only security option that used PSK. The Pre-Release 802.11n stuff would advertise the number of concurrent spacial streams, and we wouldn't have to listen to the guy at best buy tell us 11n is what we need. What we need is 11a.

Anyway, back to your question, the Linksys stuff isn't as good anymore as far as running forever. I still have a wired only linksys router that works great.

I am planning to run WPA as well, Just want the MAC filtering to help keep the ametures from even trying.

2k is a little more than I was looking to spend, if we can keep it below $200, that would be good.

If your OS and wireless card supports full 802.11i (WPA2) I suggest using that.

WPA is just wep with a larger Initialization Vector and is almost 10 years old now. If you are worried about security, you need to get away from the WEP hashing algorithm which is what WPA uses.

What we need is 11a.

So the 5ghz band is good again? I thought that got beat up too much due to poor range, it seems like no one wants to use it despite being commercially viable for almost as long as 11b. It certainly has better spectrum usage, but what good is that when the signal can't get as far? I have an a/b/g router, G is the only thing i use and I can't imagine a time when I needed a faster link. I guess maybe if I had to download more than one movie at a time, it might help.

Get a 1U server, install IPCop on it, put internet on RED connection, lan green, wireless on blue.

disable DHCP, set up fixed leases, and you should be good.

Got a 1u server for under $200?

I will admit, I am a little behind the times on networking, not quite retarded, but not up to speed either.

Got a 1u server for under $200?

I will admit, I am a little behind the times on networking, not quite retarded, but not up to speed either.

first buy one of these

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38&_nkw=cobalt+raq&_sacat=See-All-Categories

then install this

http://www.raqcop.com/

then your network looks like this

http://www.ryanhallarn.com/images/network.jpg

http://www.ryanhallarn.com/images/router.jpg

You asked :)

So the 5ghz band is good again? I thought that got beat up too much due to poor range, it seems like no one wants to use it despite being commercially viable for almost as long as 11b. It certainly has better spectrum usage, but what good is that when the signal can't get as far? I have an a/b/g router, G is the only thing i use and I can't imagine a time when I needed a faster link. I guess maybe if I had to download more than one movie at a time, it might help.

It never was bad. 11a is by far a better performing band, 13 available channels that don't compete with anything versus 3 available channels that compete with baby monitors, microwaves, bluetooth, whatever.

Yes, because the higher freq, the range isn't as far. I don't know the exact calculations but I can tell you I can pick up A anywhere in my house and my AP is in the basement.

G has a protect mode when any B channel is being used. The AP will start sending "b aware" headers in the DTIM and thus it drives the available bandwidth down. G, therefore, is slower than A. The way you cheat that is make the minimum connect rate 16meg. Then B cannot connect.

I like A better because of the freq and available channels.

Proxim is a Brand Name. They are what you will find in many "Hot Spots", including coffee shops, airports, and the like.

They have smaller ones as well.

THIS is a good one.

I have installed in MANY locations where the junk Linksys and halfway decent D-Link just would not or did not cut it.

:thumbup:

KillJoy

Ahhhh. Now the little lightbulb is starting to glow.

On the Raqcop site, it states " It is probably not for Linux beginers."

I wouldn't consider myself a Limux begine, more like a Linux retard. I think I have seen a computer running it once. Maybe.

Care to teach a fossil some new tricks?

Why are you using a hub a not a switch? Just curious...

Get a 1U server, install IPCop on it, put internet on RED connection, lan green, wireless on blue.

disable DHCP, set up fixed leases, and you should be good.

1. Why go threw all that?

2. Fixed leases does absolutely 0

3. Almost any off the shelf NAT based firewall is going to be as secure as a nother.

4. If you want to add IDS Features just build a cheap linux box

RAq 4 is nice but unless your a hardcore geek and have a real use for it a complete waste of a box.

Whats your goal that your not reaching atm? I hate over engineered solutions. If as a hardcore geek with 2 internet connections can make it all work with 2 off the shelf devices.

If your going to go with raq4 I suggest this package.http://m0n0.ch/wall/