E85 Guys.

thorne

Knock is definately of value, but not absolutely necessary when tuning an engine. If at all possible, use it.

Sounds like mr. coreymdean is someone who doesn't like change, like the old guys who hate wideband O2 sensors and would rather read spark plugs.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My personal view on calibration is that you need both 'old school' knowledge and 'new school' science to become as well rounded as possible. Any who disregard either is just as ignorant.

I will say, science will give you data to work off of, where your senses will help validate that data.

My personal view on calibration is that you need both 'old school' knowledge and 'new school' science to become as well rounded as possible. Any who disregard either is just as ignorant.

I will say, science will give you data to work off of, where your senses will help validate that data.

AGREED

you have to understand the mechanics before you can tune the electronics.

I love that someone with a rotary says knock isn't that important and calls me ignorant.

Priceless.

Most rotary people know that once the knock sensor picks up any detectable level of knock, its all over for the engine. Good luck tuning via knock only on a rotary.

EDIT: the guy who claimed knock isn't that much value has a 2000 civic si, not a rotary. What value are you adding to this thread?

Guest coreymdean
im not saying its completely unimportant. I just dont think people are truely using it whats it for. I do like change and i do like new technology. I also like old shit and think people get too caught up on what is always needed to tune an engine. Yea and i def dont have a rotary..... I believe that it is not quite right for people with knock sensor to just use those to tune their engine. Add timing till its starts to knock, then pull a few degrees back and leave it alone... yea it might work but is it truely the best way? Its something i believe would be a nice to have thing to have even for my honda... but i am also not going to go out of my way to ensure that i have one, because I am able to tune without a knock, and i am not just throwing darts at a dart board. i didnt mean it in such a personal way, i just took a lil offense to it because i most everything i have tuned has not had a knock sensor, and i believe i did a pretty good job with it.