CMH and checking a gun

evan9381

Once Castle Doctrine goes into effect, a man's home = His castle. I don't even think I've heard a case of a CCW permit holder actually try to stop any robbery or hostage type situation. I did see a pretty funny video of a suspect coming into a gas station with a firearm, only to be met with an off duty officer pulling his firearm.

Were you watching Tru TV last night too?

I think the gf rewinded that one 10 times

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never seen those Penn and Teller episodes. Very nice.

However, even they can't get it 100% right, even if they are spitting in the eye of gun control. On more than a couple references in just the first episode, they blamed the cause of child deaths, in home deaths, accidental deaths on the guns, rather than the people operating them.

(Or perhaps they didn't mean it that way, but media brainwashing over the past 20 years has subliminally made most people lay blame this way.)

We don't blame drunk driving on the car, shootings involving the use of a gun should never be blamed on the gun either.

We don't blame drunk driving on the car, shootings involving the use of a gun should never be blamed on the gun either.

a car is made for transportation, and it is a tragic surprise when it results in someone's death.

a gun is made for killing someone, the user was using it for its proper use, just in an inappropriate situation

a car is made for transportation, and it is a tragic surprise when it results in someone's death.

a gun is made for killing someone, the user was using it for its proper use, just in an inappropriate situation

Was a knife or rope made for killing people?

Every gun? I don't think so. There are far more uses for gun's than being used as a weapon.

It does not matter what the gun is "made for" (as you put it), it can NOT, nor will it EVER, kill anyone or anything without the input from someone. The gun is inanimate, it can not fire itself, it can not point itself, it has no emotion, no dictation, no self control, and certainly no intent. Only the user does.

Then it's doubly tragic how many times more people die in car accidents every year than by GSW. That's including accidental and intentional shootings, BTW...

Then it's doubly tragic how many times more people die in car accidents every year than by GSW. That's including accidental and intentional shootings, BTW...

i'm well aware--its the probability though. many, many orders of magnitude more people use cars on a daily basis, then handle/carry guns

Every gun? I don't think so. There are far more uses for gun's than being used as a weapon.

like what. i'm assuming you have a handgun--what else do you use it for??? to stir your coffee in the morning?? can you use it to open bottles??

i realize you can probably use it for sport (shooting range), but that's irrelevant to the current conversation.

Yah, they generally do a pretty good job of sweeping up the bodies.

I really like the way Eric put this:

The quickest way to get shot is to pull a gun

I would rather them outline me in chalk then any who are caught in cross fire...because at that point, two people holding guns....you could safely assume one of them is going to pull the trigger.

like what. i'm assuming you have a handgun--what else do you use it for??? to stir your coffee in the morning?? can you use it to open bottles??

i realize you can probably use it for sport (shooting range), but that's irrelevant to the current conversation.

I have two hand guns. One is my carry piece. The other is for recreation. Both of them get equal range time. Both could be used for 3 gun matches, target practice, demonstration etc etc. These are relevant as you asked what else they can be used for other than "another purpose for a standard handgun."

If you are asking in the context of self defense, then yes, they are used for self defense, and that is only as a last ditch effort.

i'm well aware--its the probability though. many, many orders of magnitude more people use cars on a daily basis, then handle/carry guns
There are roughly 250 million registered cars in America. There are roughly 200 million guns in America (and that is generally accepted as a VERY conservative number). Now, if you're looking at the probability, I'd still take a guess that there are less deaths vs. guns handled as there are to deaths vs. cars driven. Again though, whether its a car, or a gun, it is the person operating such device to be held responsible, not the object at the mercy of said person.

name another purpose for a standard handgun.

To immobilize someone.

Target practice.

Policing.

Defense.

Don't think of it as a tool for murder just because some abuse it that way. It's a tool just as anything else is. Put it in the wrong hands and it will be used inappropriately. There's really nothing else to it.

I really like the way Eric put this:

"The quickest way to get shot is to pull a gun"

I would rather them outline me in chalk then any who are caught in cross fire...because at that point, two people holding guns....you could safely assume one of them is going to pull the trigger.

This logic is skewed, and I'll follow up with another quite silly gun use exaggeration.

"the quickest way to get shot, is to pull a gun" is way out there on a limb of real life situations that have a very rare occurance of possibly happening.

If

A) You pull your gun, because someone else has a gun pulled, at least you are attempting to save your life or give yourself a chance. There is no guarantee that the other guy with the gun will not kill you if you comply and or don't draw down. In fact, this method has lead to many high profile and mass murderings, of late and the past.

B) You have your gun pulled first, and still get shot, you suck at this game and should live in a bubble. The whole point is if you are in the situation to legally draw first, then logic and application would state that you fire first, eliminating the threat.

My second favorite over dramatization:

"If you pull your gun, the bad guy will just take if from you!"

Think about how silly that sounds. If it's that easy, then I'll just take it right back. The same lame logic loop applies both ways, to both situations.

There are roughly 250 million registered cars in America. There are roughly 200 million guns in America (and that is generally accepted as a VERY conservative number). Now, if you're looking at the probability, I'd still take a guess that there are less deaths vs. guns handled as there are to deaths vs. cars driven. Again though, whether its a car, or a gun, it is the person operating such device to be held responsible, not the object at the mercy of said person.

i'm guessing 90% or more of those guns spend most of their lives locked away in a gun cabinet, and not in daily usage--whereas most cars are driven daily. i know there are members here with 20 or more guns, whereas the average adult has one, maybe 2 cars. again, cars kill people because of terrible accidents. guns kill people because the owner of the gun pulled the trigger--not usually an accident, but what i would call its intended use.

guns kill people because the owner of the gun pulled the trigger--not usually an accident, but what i would call its intended use.

Well, at least you recognize that the person uses the gun. :)

And yes you are right, the more or less intended historical use of the gun is to be used as a killing weapon. No doubt about that, but to say every gun is used for the same sole purpose, is a wide stroke of the paint brush.

The bottom line is, like it or not, we still live in America and still have the second amendment that allows me to own and use the firearms I own. The second amendment was placed in the bill of rights to protect us from a tyrannical government, and to allow use to defend ourselves.

Overall, the police are meant to be reactionary to crime. Defense of my life and my families life rest upon my shoulders. Therefore, I carry a weapon.

I don't think Hitler is going to try and car jack you, meaning, I'm not trying to convey flying the French flag, but, think of how many videos and stories of shops getting robbed; notice the shots do not usually start flying until another firearm is introduced.

You aren't a threat until you present yourself to be one in my eyes.