cam changing help...

yellowsnake

i have a 2000 camaro.. i've never done a cam swap on a camaro but i twant to. i've got some prices from some guys here but the more i think about it the more i'd like to do it on my own to learn. problems is i dont trust myself 100% to do it. i can have the car all tore down.(intake off, heads off, radiator out and a few other items off the front of the car)

my questions is this, would/could someone help me install the cam, lifters, pushrods, timing chain and oil pump at my house.... or if someone like hal would let me tear the car apart at his place and just have them there to help with the install and me pay them. i'm hoping to have everything by this weekend and i'll have the car torn apar by the hopefully..... if not then i'll probably end up letting hal install it for me if i cant get some help...

Unless you have a shit ton of miles, I'd leave the lifters in it. Then you can leave the intake and heads on the car. If all you want is someone to watch and make sure you don't screw it up I could ablige. Otherwise some of these guys like Hal are really reasonable.

What cam are you goin with?

FYI the heads stay on the car.

Here is the directions I used -

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=2

I also had a guy help that had done dozens of cam swaps. It was not that difficult - I would offer to help but right now my schedule is overloaded.

I have read that, very accurate directions.

Yes what size cam are you installing? I didn't see any valve springs in the list. I forget what lift the stock springs are good to.

0 - replace them with any cam swap.

(I know they can probably handle a cam like the hot cam but it is just not worth it)

- Your car will try to die once you rev it up some and let off. this will make it difficult to drive at first, but after 100-200 miles of city driving it will learn itself out. If it doesn't, programming may be able to fix the issue or you can drill a small hole in your throttlebody blade to let more air in at idle.

Is that seriously ok?

Yes what size cam are you installing? I didn't see any valve springs in the list. I forget what lift the stock springs are good to.

Stock springs are barly enough for the stock cam. Comp 918s should be part of any cam swap until the lift gets over .600, and hardend pushrods as they are commonly refered to as the fusable link (subject to bending with the stock cam, just ask Starkmaster03). The rest of the parts depend purely on mileage and personal preference. PM me I have the tools, it can be done.

Is that seriously ok?

yes you can make the current hole larger, you don't drill a new hole

and the heads can stay on the car, but you will need stronger valve springs, and push rods, the oil pump and timing chain will take the longest you'll have to raise the engine up high enough to get the oil pan off, other than that it's gravy to do

i have a 2000 camaro.. i've never done a cam swap on a camaro but i twant to. i've got some prices from some guys here but the more i think about it the more i'd like to do it on my own to learn. problems is i dont trust myself 100% to do it. i can have the car all tore down.(intake off, heads off, radiator out and a few other items off the front of the car)

my questions is this, would/could someone help me install the cam, lifters, pushrods, timing chain and oil pump at my house.... or if someone like hal would let me tear the car apart at his place and just have them there to help with the install and me pay them. i'm hoping to have everything by this weekend and i'll have the car torn apar by the hopefully..... if not then i'll probably end up letting hal install it for me if i cant get some help...

Either way would work for me. I don't think I'd be able to have you doing the work at my place as I'm kind of crunched on time. No offense meant, I just wouldn't be able to work it out right for you. I would be happy to assist you if you have a place to do it.

It is time consuming but fairly straight forward. There are some big pitfalls if you haven't done them before though.

Is that seriously ok?

Yes but, fuck that. There are better temporary ways to get the car to idle before a tune. Jason's car (big cam and heads) idled very nicely untuned.

yes you and make the current hole larger, you don't drill a new hole

and the heads can stay on the car, but you will need stronger valve springs, and push rods, the oil pump and timing chain will take the longest you'll have to raise the engine up high enough to get the oil pan off, other than that it's gravy to do

You don't need to raise the engine Craig, it can be done easily without. All you need to do is remove all the bolts and let it drop that inch or so. That gives you enough room to get to the pickup tube bolt.

Do you drive a manual or auto, and what size cam are you going with (pm me if you dont want it to be public)? This is going to go a long way in determining if your car will be able to hold an idle untuned. Worst case scenario you will have to give your car a little gas at stops to keep it from stalling, and rev it on starts.

Do you drive a manual or auto, and what size cam are you going with (pm me if you dont want it to be public)? This is going to go a long way in determining if your car will be able to hold an idle untuned. Worst case scenario you will have to give your car a little gas at stops to keep it from stalling, and rev it on starts.

Brian, if he asks for my help, the car will idle untuned. I guarantee it.

hal.... i have a 2 car garage on my house and i should have most of what i need to remove everything i hope.... so if i would get you too help i might just need you to help me with the install so for a few hours or so..... still not set on doing it my self though and from the looks and talking to texas speed it will be next weekend before i can get everything going...