Anyone have a fuel pressure guage?

blue98ls1

I have a 92 Subaru SVX, it has a problem starting where it cranks normally but takes a very long time to start or once in a while won't start at all. It usually runs kind of rough when it does get started and you have to give it gas. Once you give it gas it will idle normal and generally run like normal. I have noticed if you hold the gas pedal down when trying to start the car, it will sometimes help it start up.

Car has 3 codes stored in the computer, one is for a crank sensor, another is for the EGR valve. Both of those parts I swapped off of another one of my SVX's and the problem did not go away. Last code was for an O2 sensor, which I know isn't the problem.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Or have a fuel pressure gauge?

Sounds more like a vacuum (or vacuum related sensor) problem, but I have a fuel gauge too.

Also, you can "rent" most specialty tools from AutoZone and Advance Auto. It is more to prevent excessive returns than anything, but if you ask, they will give you a used (or pull a new one if they don't already have a used, usually) for the price of the part, and give you your cash back when you return it, no funny looks about it smelling of gas and being covered in oil....

Another note: The cars fuel pump, fuel lines, fuel filter have all been replaced recently.

I have gotten plenty of bad fuel pumps, so you are right to check fuel pressure. I have a basic gauge if your car has a schrader valve, if you're out east I'll help you out.

I have a basic gauge if your car has a schrader valve, if you're out east I'll help you out.

It does not have a schrader valve.

I had to replace the fuel pump 3 times in order to get a working one, so really want to rule out a fuel issue before I go too much further with troubleshooting.

And if your further East. i also have a pressure gauge, with many adaptors for cars/trucks with out scrader valves. have you cleared all the codes, and the crank sensor code came back??

Also if it has a MAF sensor. they can cause troubles, but yet set no code.

send a pm, and we'll get you fixed up.

Mike

I did clear all the codes, and yes all 3 came back after that. The check engine light is not on constantly though. Once in a while it will flash on then go off.

It does have a MAF. I cleaned it but that didn't change anything. I replaced it aprx a year ago.

PM sent.