vacation project

Science Abuse

The problem: Covering the most river in the least amount of time.

The theory: Selecting, setting, and breaking camp takes allot of time. Reduce that and increase your time on the river and therefore increase the ground covered in a day.

Solution: Eliminate camp altogether:

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/2862/tentboat3lf0.jpg

Fabric is rough cut, needs stitched up and seam sealed an it will be ready to go.

The boat is 16ft long with a 46" beam, room to sleep 2 adults.

Find an inside bend in the river, drop anchor, cook your food and pull the cover. Estimate having another 5 hours per day to row.

All day paddling, then sleeping on a hard plastic surface? Your back isn't going to like you very much.

We'll have thermorests, and flat boards to make it a better (non ribbed) surface.

How much heat is that going to trap inside? Where you heading?

lol, LOTS, and every ounce of water from our breath, probably. Ventilation can be easily added to the center "hatch" section, as it is also the highpoint.

My brother and I plan to sleep in there. The nice thing about being on the floor of the canoe, you have zero concern about tipping as you toss at turn; your weight is at the water line. The material is light and velcros to the gunwales, so if something does happen, we won't be trapped.

First use will be on Michigan's Ausable river, overnight lows in the 50s. The original plan was for 76mi from Mio to the mouth at Lake Huron in 2 days. The distance got halved after some female intervention, though. lol

Edit: The boat will be anchored at the inside of a bend in the river, not adrift. lol

First use will be on Michigan's Ausable river, overnight lows in the 50s. The original plan was for 76mi from Mio to the mouth at Lake Huron in 2 days. The distance got halved after some female intervention, though. lol

I have cabrewed roughly 25 miles of this river...and I must say it is FUCKING cold. It took us about 6 hours to make the trip...but we drank 4 cases between 6 people. :)

-Marc

I have cabrewed roughly 25 miles of this river...and I must say it is FUCKING cold. It took us about 6 hours to make the trip...but we drank 4 cases between 6 people. :)

-Marc

Wahh? What stretch?

It's cold, but there's a railroad tressle that you can jump off of into the river, so it fun'balances out.

Correction, a train derailed and took out the tressle 2 years ago. I wonder whats there now?

Eric, you should take the Muskingum down from Zanesville to Marietta. It looks like the Muskingum starts around Coshocton, and its fed from two other rivers, starting there would make the trip a good bit longer.

It's a good thought. Keep in mind, I'm a northman, you're tropical summers aren't my cup'o'tea. :p