Ipod Guru's - Insight needed

TTQ B4U

Is there a way to add in different ambiance or spacializers for the sound coming out of my iPod? Sort of like the various surround sound modes on my home receiver. Something that upgrades the iPod itself either through software or as a hardwire add in that I can use in the car?

Yes.....I'm reading up on the Creative Xmod, which may work....with an additional power adapter, but something like that.

The spacialization on the Bose head unit in my Mazda isn't as nice as what I'm used to. My home theater has like 20 different surround modes which make great use of the 6-7 channels I have going there. I'm hoping to find something like that to mount in my car.

Again, the Xmod may work as I have a USB Charger I can use, but that's an extra step / PIA and makes things less "clean" so far as mounting and setup.

Are you saying you want surround sound out on the ipod?

?? not sure I follow you? the iPod connects and works fine in the car via the headphone jack and connection in the armrest, but the spacialization is what I'm after.

the jack should do that for ya.

I've been reading up on this product and it seems to get some great reviews. Not in stores anywhere, so I may order it direct along with a USB Power adapter and wire it in somehow. Worst case, I'll use it in my home or just return it as they are offering a full money back deal.....

http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=209&subcategory=668&product=15913&nav=0

They are actually only $29.99 now if you call them direct. Hell, the power adapter is more than the unit :wtf:

I don't know much about this XMOD thing you are referring to. I just use the aux input on the front of my headunit. Your 3 should have an input on it. I would just use that if I was you.

?? not sure I follow you? the iPod connects and works fine in the car via the headphone jack and connection in the armrest, but the spacialization is what I'm after.

oh I see. there wasn't a built in jack for my 3 I have to buy a add on the is hard wired into the head unit.

yeah, on the MS3 there's a plug right inside the armrest which is nice. iPod sits near my shifter and I bought a self retracting cable that plugs into the port inside the armrest.

with this new set up, the same will apply, only the ipod connects to the xMod and that connects to the car. catch is I have to use the cig. port in the armrest to power the xMod.

the real catch is that the cig port stays on when the car is off. shouldn't be a concern over 1 night / day but I can't simply turn the car off and take my iPod, I have to unplug the xMod then too. I can try and get that fixed / wired differently I suppose, but will just make due for now.....at least I'm pretty sure it stays 'hot' when the car is off.

at least all the crap is inside the armrest for a somewhat clean install.

Here's a nice virtual demo. I'm actually pretty excited as if it does what it says it should sound as good as my home theater does being fed music from my PC. So far, the reviews on it are nothing be excellent.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5295978#

oh I see. there wasn't a built in jack for my 3 I have to buy a add on the is hard wired into the head unit.

not yet....I'm still old school with a 20gb version that's about 18gb full. I have a deal or two in the pipeline at work and if they close, I'm treating myself to something...either a new iPhone for the two of us or at least a touch for me....the first first will yield me an extra special touch though ;):p

if you have a cracked touch there are a few apps that tweak the sound..