electrical help / borrowing equipment

Guest tbutera2112

Guest tbutera2112

anyone near blacklick have a battery charger i could borrow? hell i dont even jumper cables...i have a battery tender but it wont charge a dead battery...i need to get my battery charged up so i can start trying to find my electrical problem...ever since removing my stereo i have a mysterious drain... but now im thinking i mighta had it before also...just remembered this same thing happened in december...hell i dont know, but i cant start trying to find the problem unless the battery works...so i need a jump or a charger...thanks guys

also, how would i go about finding where the drain is? i havent checked the terminal yet but im pretty sure it has a drain since it dies completely after sitting for a week but is good for just the weekend...

annnnnd one last thing, i would also need to borrow a multimeter....if anyone has a DMM and battery charger i would be willing to give you my sct livewire as collateral while i borrow your stuff...also i have noticed that my voltage while driving is sometimes high 12s to low 13s which is kinda low...do you think it could possibly be a bad battery? in december it had an old battery so i just figured letting it sit for a week was too much for that battery...so i got an optima and when it died the second time i got the optima tested and they told me it couldnt be charged because it was ruined so they warrantied it...now im on my second optima and i just find it hard to believe that i would get 2 bad optimas in a row...its gotta be the car...ill check it with a DMM or a test light as soon as i get it charged up to be sure though

Guest tbutera2112

sent PM, since were talking in them already anyways lol

anyone else have a multimeter? or know where i would begin to look for a leak and how i would test for one?

I have a multimeter you could borrow..It's cheap but it has saved me a few times

For shits and giggles I would have autozone test it again,just to rule out it's not a bad one.You would have to have some serious bad luck for that happen twice,but it's been known to happen.

Guest tbutera2112
yea...i know the drain is either new or its the battery... i used to be able to hold a full charge with my battery tender...ever since removing my stereo box i cant hold a charge now...but i advanced told me it was the battery so they gave me a new one...now its done it again...so once i get it charged ill check to see if theres an unusually high load on the battery when the car is turned off...i could also unhook the battery and leave it on my battery tender to see if it can be charged the whole way or not....really just need to see if the cars pulling power when its shut off, aside from the stereo memory....when i removed the stereo i removed all of the wires though, i dont possibly see how i coulda done anything to cause it to drain

Guest GMoney

How to narrow your problem down.

1. Fully charged battery.

2. Put multimeter in line set for AMPs

3. Find out how much draw is on the car with nothing on

4. Start pulling fuses till the draw goes down

5. Check the headlight switch.... I had one go out in a ford that i had.

Guest Removed
I have a multimeter you could borrow..It's cheap but it has saved me a few times

For shits and giggles I would have autozone test it again,just to rule out it's not a bad one.You would have to have some serious bad luck for that happen twice,but it's been known to happen.

does it have a amp setting? he needs to do a draw test ;)

Guest tbutera2112
rob im just going to use a test light...talked to my teacher today and im pretty sure he is the god of electricity...its ridiculous how much he knows and all his qualifications...he says to just use a test light and that if it lights between neg cable and terminal, i have a problem and to start pulling fuses until the light goes out, then find everything in the circuit ran by the fuse, test it for normal operation to try and pin point it, if everything looks good he said i have to start testing each load individually...so im just gonna go with that

How to narrow your problem down.

1. Fully charged battery.

2. Put multimeter in line set for AMPs

3. Find out how much draw is on the car with nothing on

4. Start pulling fuses till the draw goes down

5. Check the headlight switch.... I had one go out in a ford that i had.

+1 This is the only surefire way you'll find it, not with a test light. A small drain may not light a test light, the amp meter will tell you exactly how much draw you have.

Guest tbutera2112
if the drain isnt big enough to light the light, then its not big enough to kill my car in a week..i mean an ammeter will work, and be more accurate, but a test light should do fine...perhaps ill try both, i dont know, ill figure it out, thanks for the help guys

Guest tbutera2112

yea thats what im going to try first...quicker than reading the meter, just have to look and see if the light is still on

hopefully it doesnt come on at all and its just a shitty battery...but i doubt im that lucky lol...im gonna try to get started on it tomorrow, or atleast get it charged...going by my dads tomorrow and ill see what he has, if not then im gonna borrow some stuff from smokin5s...im not in any huge hurry though, car wont be driven again until march anyways

rob im just going to use a test light...talked to my teacher today and im pretty sure he is the god of electricity...its ridiculous how much he knows and all his qualifications...he says to just use a test light and that if it lights between neg cable and terminal, i have a problem and to start pulling fuses until the light goes out, then find everything in the circuit ran by the fuse, test it for normal operation to try and pin point it, if everything looks good he said i have to start testing each load individually...so im just gonna go with that

thats how ive found a draw on the battery should do u just fine .im on several forums and i here alot of those baterys going bad and new ones too all the time just yank it out and have advance check it its free and save u some time but if it is bad u still could have a problem making the battery go bad .

Guest tbutera2112
yea Hal he's my teacher....and thanks everyone, i have a testlight now and a battery charger...its charging now and then ill see if theres a draw on the battery while its off...if so ill start looking for it, if not ill take it to advanced and see if they will just let me return it and buy their brand...dont want to have them check it for me if i dont have to, gonna check for a draw first... it took them over 45minutes to check it last time and then they told me it was defective

My optima took and hour to test and it came up fine, kind of made me irritated and happy at the same time. Ended up my starter was taking a shit and just needing more juice to start, would jump start fine, but wouldn't start on the battery that had 12 volts. I figured that it had no amperage. I've killed it over a dozen times and haven't had any problems bringing it back to life. I did notice that you had the yellow top were as I have the red top but still it should last longer. Just let me know when your done with the shit or if you need any help.

Guest tbutera2112
good deal...ill let it sit and maybe hook it up tomorrow and see what the deal is...i unhooked the battery from the car while its charging, so i know for sure i can get a full charge...also had a very loose ground...its been replaced, but where i crimped the brass end on was loose...pretty much touched it and it fell off lol...slid it back on and crushed it some more the best i could so maybe that will help some, hell idk anything about electrical haha...so ill be hitting you up on some help stark if i cant seem to find it...but it doesnt seem like it should be too bad