Charging/Electrical problem

Adam

94 Trans Am

Has an overcharging issue, and while running the gauge on the dash jumps around and all the Lights flicker accordingly including the headlights. The voltage never goes into the red. I have measured the voltage at the Alternator and the battery and it reads fine.

Also how do I check for a draw. If I leave the car sit for more than a few days, more like a week the car will be dead as a doornail. It isn't the battery, (though if I figure the problem out I will replace anyways) because it did this on the old battery and I replaced it with this one and it still does it. The old battery was actually a dry cell and it would cook those batteries, I mean like it would actually be smoking out of it. I have a new alternator for the car but don't want to put it on there if it is something else.

Waiting for Gearhead, and Hal to chime in please

Guest 614Streets

Good way to begin identifying a draw is to test light each fuse with key off battery connected. See what circuit is drawing. Cig lighters are common suspects. Each fuse has two spots to place the test probe , check both sides to verify there is no backfeeding.

With the overcharging check grounds.

Will and Dave have it right. Bench test the alt. that is more than likely where the overcharge is coming from.

A test light is the easiest way to find a draw. I would still get the battery load tested just to be sure on that one.