Race Gas Help

Alex L.

Well, the time has come to get the '94 tuned. The shop wants me to get 10 gallons of race gas, but I can't decide what gas to use. I haven't researched the different gasses that much, and this is all pretty much new to me.

What do you guys recommend as far as a high-horsepower turbo car goes? I read in a recent thread that the Cobra guys are happy with Torco gas, but like I said, I don't know enough about gasses yet to make a decision about it.

This is not the place that I want to skimp. I know how big of a difference choosing the right gas can make, and I want to make the right decision.

Thanks guys!

Most base the octane rating on the amount of boost, the engine, etc. Some will tell you 109 unleaded is great because it spares your 02 sensors... while others will say C16 is a lot safer for your engine. If you post how much boost you plan to run someone will be able to give you a solid answer.

Tune for whatever you plan on filling up with, when you use the tune ;)

KillJoy

We were going to do two separate sessions, one for pump and one for race, but the shop wants to do it all in one. We're going to have two sets for the car, which should turn out to be a pretty nice little luxury. :)

We were going to do two separate sessions, one for pump and one for race, but the shop wants to do it all in one. We're going to have two sets for the car, which should turn out to be a pretty nice little luxury. :)

It is nice to have both. Just get the Race Tune with gas that is readily available and that is actually going to be used when using the Race Tune.

No need to Tune on Torco 112 if you are going to run on C16 or Sunoco 94.

;)

KillJoy

The car runs regularly on Sunoco 94 octane. So you would recommend C16 over Torco 112?

Which do you want to buy? If I am not mistaken, NO ONE in Central OH, sells C16 by the gallon. There are, however, several places that sell Torco 110 and 112 at a pump.

:thumbup:

KillJoy

Which do you want to buy? If I am not mistaken, NO ONE in Central OH, sells C16 by the gallon. There are, however, several places that sell Torco 110 and 112 at a pump.

:thumbup:

KillJoy

IIRC from a recent thread, The Fuel Depot sells Torco at the pump, and Iron Pony sells C16 by 5-gallon barrel. I'm not sure which one I want to buy yet. I'm trying to get some ideas as to what people recommend. Here's the list of mods that I posted if it helps:

It's a 6-spd targa car with 73k miles on the ODO. It's got a PHR stage 2+ (GT67) single turbo kit on it, PHR stage 2 fuel system, head w/Crower components (272 cams), Blitz turbo timer, boost controller, and exhaust, MAP2 ECU, Greddy FMIC, and a few other miscellaneous things that I'm forgetting.

What are the:

Engine Specs (compression, bore/stroke, head design)

Cam Specs (duration)

Turbo Specs (compressor map would be nice)

The engine is still a 3.0L, and I will get the compression ratio ASAP (I don't know off the top of my head what HG this has on it :o). The bore/stroke should be: 86.0mm/71.5mm, the same as a stock 2JZ-GTE.

The head has had a 5-angle valve job with Toyota valve stem seals, Crower Stage 2 (272/272) cams, Crower titanium valve spring retainers, and Crower race springs.

If it matters for anything, the fuel system consists of dual Walbro fuel pumps and 850cc Siemens injectors.

The cams are 272/272, and have a duration of intake/exhaust: 229"/231".

I couldn't find a compressor map for you, but it is a 67mm DBB turbo.