Long Range Tactical Shooting Event - 1/11.

flounder

$300? ish? i really don't know anything about scopes. I know i don't like the kind i have to get my eye up so close it kicks me. had a few tasco's?...i have a 10 power variable on my winchester 94ae 30-30. forgot about that.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tasco's are bottom of the barrell IMO.

You could always check out Millett, Falcon Optics Menace or Merlin series, SWFA Super Sniper, Bushnelle, Nikon,

The more MOA of elevation the scope has, the better for shooting long range. A 10x scope is fine and an 16x, 18x, 22x or above will be plenty to see at long range.. Any of those scopes will get you to 400 yards easily and you dont need a high power scope for a 400 yard shot. The military used to, and may still use a 10x scope for out to 1000 yards.

I just bought a Zoss off of Ebay. It's a 10-40x60. I've only just sighted it in to 100 yards, and seems to be working fairly well. I'm not a big hunter, but my 22LR wasn't killing the groundhogs out to where I was shooting them. I think i paid $179. Some say they are cheap scopes. I just wanted to try it out on my 22-250 to see for myself.

Never heard of Zoss, did you mean zeiss?... Do you have a link? 10x40x60??? something doesnt sound right

Sorry, I put one too many "s". It is Zos. Supposedly this is what the Chinese use. It came with some cheaper rings and a big sunshade along with lens caps.

Coveyrun is the name of the guy that imports them on Ebay. You can search for them there. I would post the link for it, but for some reason my right click button isn't working :mad:

Ok, that makes more sense. I read some info on them and some reviews and all I can say is that hopefully you have better luck then most of the people that have bought them and allot of those people were putting them on airguns and .22's and they had huge issues with the scopes not holding zero. I couldnt imagine what a higher power rifle recoil would do to one of them based on what I have read.

thanks, apparently $300 is not much for a scope....what options should i pay attention to other than the elevation?

How far do you want to shoot

How good is the glass.

Internal Adjustment Range something between 50-100MOA of adjustment is good.

How much magnification do you want

Eye relief

Is the scope known to loose its zero over time.

Do you want tactical knobs on it?

Do you want side parallax adjustment or front.

The best advice I can give is to suggest to go out and read a bunch of reviews on some of the tactical shooting webpages or optics webpages. After reading those, you will figure out more of what you want and what it will cost to get the options you are interested in. There is no need to spend extra money on something if you will never use it. By the same means, if you will eventually use it then you can probably save yourself some money be spending a bit extra up front to keep yourself from having to buy another scope later. Its all up to you and boils down to what you want to be able to do with the scope.

The scope I would like to have is a Nightforce and is around $1600.. I unfortunately dont have the money to buy one at this point. And that is nowhere near the cost of some of the more expensive scopes. An S&B or USO can run upwards of $2500

Here are some examples.

This is the one I want The 8x32x56 ITS BADASS!!!!

http://www.nightforceoptics.com/SCOPES_OVERVIEW/8-32x56___12-42x56/8-32x56___12-42x56.html

And here are the options for the reticles I could choose from for that scope.

http://www.nightforceoptics.com/RETICLES_OVERVIEW/reticles_overview.html

Edited by flounder