new GTR hp claims.

boosted98gst

It was a "gentlemens" agreement. There was a period in time where(you were correct), cars in Japan were limited to 280hp. The R34 Skyline GT-R however was closer to 330, if I remember correctly.

In japan cars by law are not supposed to have over 280hp, does not have anything to do with an agreement. Unless they are imported into japan.

Then what happened with the new GTR?

NSX-R V6 NA motor produces 280ps. R34 GTR inline 6, twin turbo motor produces 280ps. RX-7(FD), rotary turbo motor produces 280ps. I don't miss type it. Different company cars, different motors produce same horse power in Japan. Why? Because Japanese government enforced one regulation for Japanese car companies until 2004 which was the 280 ps regulation. Japanese government afraid the drivers make over speed on the street and make traffic accident that's why Japanese government didn't permit for selling over 280 ps cars as enforcing the 280 ps regulation. But Japanese government didn't enforce the 280 ps regulation for any imported cars. Why 280 ps? Because Nissan 300ZX (Z32) in 1990 was producing 280 ps and was top horse power car in Japan. The 280 ps regulation started in 1990. That's why Japanese government decided 280 ps was maximum in 1990. If Z32 produced 300 ps, may be it would be 300 ps regulation. In 1993, Japanese government would reconsider 280 ps regulation but the number of car accident had been increasing and Japanese car companies were focusing mini vans and SUV in 1993. That's why the 280 ps regulation didn't make trouble for any Japanese car companies at that time. After 2001, the 280 ps regulation was an obstruction to sell cars in high class cars market.

more easy ?

In 1993, Japanese government would reconsider 280 ps regulation but the number of car accident had been increasing and Japanese car companies were focusing mini vans and SUV in 1993. That's why the 280 ps regulation didn't make trouble for any Japanese car companies at that time. After 2001, the 280 ps regulation was an obstruction to sell cars in high class cars market.

more easy ?

Lol thats really all you had to say sir.

Car and Driver says nothing about a law...just an agreement

Neither does the Japan Times Online...

They both say something about a "gentlemens agreement" instilled by the Japan Automobile Manufacturuers' Association. Again...not a law.

Trust me they use to enforce the 280ps law even when I was back in 2000 my license has a thing on the back of it about the law and speeding. Yeah sure it was an agreement to stop crazy speeding ect , but japan also enforced the law, thats why during the e checks on certain cars if they think you are "bosozoku" they inspect or impound your car, its not the united states we do not have rights like here in the states, japan can do what they want. Depeding on what parts of japan you live in they still carry different laws.

If you would just spend one weekend in a decent size city in japan you will know why they had a 280ps law, they have the biggest street racing scene ive ever seen, And the crazy thing its accepted. Even my mom thinks street racing is not bad and she is old school japanese raised, she says its better then duing drugs or crime.....in japan we think alot different then united states, the cops pretty much do not give a fuck about street racing or drifting, they just tell you to leave. We also do not stop traffic or race on express ways.