MAPP torch works without Oxygen...

Science Abuse

Fun with the Fire Triangle.

http://www.splendoroftruth.com/curtjester/Pics/Fire_triangle.png

Some basics to set the stage:

I’ve got a small cutting torch, the Home Depot/Bernz’o’Matic kind.

http://img2.timeinc.net/toh/i/a/tools/torches-heat-guns-04.jpg

Awesome little bastard, HIGHLY recommended.

Essential facts:

-It uses MAPP gas (fuel) and Oxygen (oxygen) and a sparker (heat/ignition source).

-It makes and nice uber hot flame, 1/4” around, 1” long.

-Unignited, the stoichiometric mixture of gasses amounts to a faint hiss. I.E. not allot of gas is used, very little oxygen.

-If you use to much O2, it goes out.

-If you use too much MAPP, it goes out.

The Fun: I needed to get something very very hot, but I was out of oxygen….. or was I? The air around me is full of O2….

-Open the MAPP gas valve a bit; “Hiissssss *spark* poof!”. No flame.

-Open the MAPP gas valve a bit more; “HISSSSS *spark* POOF POOF!”. No flame.

-Open the MAPP gas valve a bit MOAR: “HIIIIIIISSSSS spark…..”

Elena, who was inside watching TV, said she saw a bright flash come from the windows, and could hear the rocket sound out on the back patio.

The flame that came out was not ¼” wide by 1” long, but closer 6” wide and about a foot long, though it was noticeably more orange, thus less hot than a controlled blue flame.

I waved the flame over the stainless drain cover that I was trying to heat up, it looked like it was re-entering the Earths atmosphere. 5 seconds later, the flame went out and the drain cover was nice and rainbow colored.

I have not yet decided if I want to do this again for the sake of film. It doesn’t strike me as being very bright. :) But see!! You don't need your Oxygen tank if you just want to makes things hot.

Guest Removed

true that dave

take some acetylene and fill up a rubber work glove... tie it off with something in it for a wick! light wick and toss in bathroom with your favorite service writer.....run!

good times!

true that dave

take some acetylene and fill up a rubber work glove... tie it off with something in it for a wick! light wick and toss in bathroom with your favorite service writer.....run!

good times!

I see this over and over again in my head...

you think that little fucker is fun step up to acetylene and oxygen and see what happens :)

true that dave

good times!

One word: Balloons.

For those that date back far enough, you remember them.......

I remember, did you put oxygen in them, too? What's the ratio? :)

Yes, they where oxidized properly.

Stoich ratio, work best with a properly regulated torch.

http://www.drillspot.com/pimages/365/36564_300.jpg

Strike the flame, adjust your gas pressures to get the nice blue center point, then turn off the main valve on the fuel tank. Then reopen the main valve, and the gas coming out will be the same mix that was producing the proper flame. Fill baloon, fuse, run.

This 4th we had one of those recesitating annie (cpr dolls) the we filled a ballon in the chest cavity, then took shots at it with roman candles. Turned it inside out, threw the chest plate about 25ft in the air.

If one wants an air display, it takes 4-6 helium blaoons to lift a good sized world ender (punching balloon - ~25"-30" diameter) and wick. Make sure you test burn your wick for timing, and leave the wick long enough that it wont bounce up and hit the balloon when you let go of it.

At night it is fun to watch a burning wick floating in the sky, just waiting for the flash, then.......

Fun with the Fire Triangle.

http://www.

The flame that came out was not ¼” wide by 1” long, but closer 6” wide and about a foot long, though it was noticeably more orange, thus less hot than a controlled blue flame.

I waved the flame over the stainless drain cover that I was trying to heat up, it looked like it was re-entering the Earths atmosphere. 5 seconds later, the flame went out and the drain cover was nice and rainbow colored.

BTW, you probably changed the properties of the metal a fair amount doing this. Heat + extra carbon (notice all the black smoke coming off the rich flame) probably made the steel into high carbon, and will most likely be a hair more brittle now.

BTW, how did you like the smell of the MAPP gas? Mmmm, garlic.....

If one wants an air display, it takes 4-6 helium blaoons to lift a good sized world ender (punching balloon - ~25"-30" diameter) ....
Is the stoich mixture lighter or heavier than air? I may just have to do this some time.

BTW, you probably changed the properties of the metal a fair amount doing this. Heat + extra carbon (notice all the black smoke coming off the rich flame) probably made the steel into high carbon, and will most likely be a hair more brittle now.

Yep, but don't really care, it was a drain cover. ;)