IT Guys: Ever used Synergy?

Rally Pat

I heard about this program, or something like it, a long time ago on an episode of The Screen Savers.

Anyway, I got this assignment at work to mess with this Shunra network traffic recorder/emulator. We had an extra machine laying around that met the requirements of the Shunra software, and so we set it up on my desk. My desk isn't super big (its not big at all), and so having 3 monitors on my desk plus a keyboard and mouse was kind of a pain.

For whatever reason, I remembered this software and went on a search to find it.

What it does is let you share your Keyboard and mouse across the network, and across operating systems for that matter, like all the screens are connected together. All you have to do is setup one computer to be the server (the one with the keyboard and mouse) and setup the clients on the other machines. Tell the server where all the screens are at in relation to each other, and thats it. You can start using all the machines with one keyboard and mouse, just by moving the cursor between the machines.

http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/

It has come in really handy for this thing I am working on, I suggest giving it a shot!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/MegamanEXE/IMG_0130.jpg

You think THAT'S a small desk? Stop by the intern cube next time you're at the Polaris location and then you'll realize you're lucky haha Maybe you can set that up when I get that cube to myself someday (I plan on suggesting that to get that kid out of my face and the other 2 interns are leaving).

OH and sorry for not saying hi today, I didn't notice you were waving and then I was like oh crap that was Pat! haha :)

A lot of people in eCommerce have this though. My boss does for sure, but only with 2 monitors (he shares a cube with the network admin).

You think THAT'S a small desk? Stop by the intern cube next time you're at the Polaris location and then you'll realize you're lucky haha Maybe you can set that up when I get that cube to myself someday (I plan on suggesting that to get that kid out of my face and the other 2 interns are leaving).

haha Yeah, I have seen your guys' cube. It does put mine to shame.

OH and sorry for not saying hi today, I didn't notice you were waving and then I was like oh crap that was Pat! haha :)

No biggie, we were just putting in a couple of IP phones for some people in ecommerce today (Suprise!). I saw that other girl, though.

How about this:

1. Get a dock for the laptop

2. Attach both monitors to the dock

3. Stuff the extra PC somewhere else so it doesn't take up your space

4. Get rid of the zillion cables back there

Remote desktop and/or Virtualization was born for that. From my desktop I have ready access to 24 cores of cycle crunching goodness. All that's in my cube is a laptop and an extra monitor.

How about this:

1. Get a dock for the laptop

2. Attach both monitors to the dock

Uh..the laptop and the left monitor are one machine and docked already...

And the power supply I have doesn't have enough juice to run the dock - yes I do have a dock for it in my desk.

3. Stuff the extra PC somewhere else so it doesn't take up your space

4. Get rid of the zillion cables back there

Remote desktop would not work on the right machine, do to the software running on it. It would be like being attached to someone with a 14kbps dial up modem. Thats what this software does. Virtualization is not an option on my laptop.

As for the cables that are in the back, there is no where else to put them, and they have to be there. I have a dial up modem for PBX and ACD control, 4 network connections from the wall, 3 phone lines, 2 phones - one VoIP and one Digital, a dumb switch with 3 network connections feeding off of it, the monitor cables for the 2 monitors, power for the laptop, power for the monitor and the computer...

...and what you see in the picture is the space that I have. Thats it.

Remember, I am an intern. I have all hand-me-down stuff. The only new thing on my desk is the Cisco 7941 on the left there.

Ok, so I just tried out Input Director for the last couple of hours.

I really, really don't like it. First of all, it runs like ass on the machine running Shunra. It makes the mouse and keyboard run super laggy. The mouse and keyboard attached to the machine work at normal speed, so I know it has to be the program.

It was easier to setup than Synergy, and that was nice, but I don't think its for me.