HD TV people -

evan9381

finally picked up a new TV, 60" mitsubishi rear projection LCD. WOW is coming out saturday between noon and 2 to hook everything up. now, to get the HD channels, i need HDMI cables, right? do i need a cable for each source? the TV has 3 HDMI inputs. the only things ill be hooking up to it are my cable box, and my DVD player.

also, someone directed me to this website, http://www.firefold.com and theres some cables in there for 7$ each. they only offer them in 28, 26, and 24 AWG. the price difference in the 28 to 24 is like an extra 30$. if im just hooking up these 2 sources, should the 7$ cables be enough for me??

heres what im looking at http://www.firefold.com/Products/HDMI-Male-to-HDMI-Male-Digital-Cable--6-Foot--28AWG---Black__HDMI-6-BLK.aspx ...male to male - is that what i should need to hook up the HD DVR box and my DVD player?

edit - just checked, apparently my DVD player doesnt have an HDMI port. :(

If I understand your setup correctly, you would only need one HDMI cable from the cable box to the TV. Unless of course you have a BlueRay/HD DVD player, in which case you would need two.

A friend of mine decided to buy a $4 HDMI cable from Ebay. It lasted a little over a week, only because he would switch back and forth between his PS3 and cable box. I would recommend shelling out the extra cash for a good cable. If you have any friends that work in retail electronics give them a call. In my experience these cables are marked up quite a bit, and with the right discount can be had for under $10.

i actually met a guy at my buddies place who said he worked at micro center and could get the cables for 9$ for the 16'. buddy said to go up there today to see him about the cables, get there, and no one there had a clue who he was. i was like...wtf?

i'd rather wait a couple days to save 30$ then wasting money to get them today, when i dont need them til saturday

i actually met a guy at my buddies place who said he worked at micro center and could get the cables for 9$ for the 16'. buddy said to go up there today to see him about the cables, get there, and no one there had a clue who he was. i was like...wtf?

i'd rather wait a couple days to save 30$ then wasting money to get them today, when i dont need them til saturday

If you don't mind me asking what was his name? Send it to me in a PM if you like. I am just curious whether you were given incorrect information or not.

so if i was to throw you a few extra bucks, would you be able to grab me a set? i don't need 16' worth, but if theres some that are 6-8 feet, that'd be what i need.

i called my buddy back and he was trying to get in contact with the guy, but i haven't heard anything back yet.

so if i was to throw you a few extra bucks, would you be able to grab me a set? i don't need 16' worth, but if theres some that are 6-8 feet, that'd be what i need.

i called my buddy back and he was trying to get in contact with the guy, but i haven't heard anything back yet.

Check your PM's

The mis-information is awesome.

You can use both HDMI or Component cables on your cable box to get the HD signal. Everyone says "the HDMI will look better." That's not always the case at all. I've installed hundreds of HD boxes, and can say that some TV's look better with HDMI, a lot look the same as component, and a few have looked worse with HDMI.

Also, the statement to use HDMI for the cable box, and component for the DVD player is exactly the opposite of what you would want to do if you only had those two sets of cables. VERY few DVD players will do upconvert through component. You want that upconvert feature, so you need to run HDMI for the DVD player.

You can find nice quality HDMI cables for $6-8 on E-bay easily, all new stuff.

Monoprice.com is the only place for HDMI or component cables. I have bought probably half a dozen from there, two of which i use as a 'ghetto switchbox' to plug either my dvd or my 360 into the tv. I have had no problems at all with them, I would be much more worried about the connector in the TV coming loose than the cable going bad. When you can get 5 shipped to you for the price of the 'cheap' one at best buy or circuit city, it's a no-brainer. Cable markups are ridiculous anyway.

x100,000,000 on monoprice.com. When talking about a digital signal, size of cable does not matter. All you pay for when you buy that big thick piece of trash from best buy is a whole lot of rubber surround. Poke around avsforum.com, and see what all the true audiophiles on there use... it's monoprice.

The mis-information is awesome.

You can use both HDMI or Component cables on your cable box to get the HD signal. Everyone says "the HDMI will look better." That's not always the case at all. I've installed hundreds of HD boxes, and can say that some TV's look better with HDMI, a lot look the same as component, and a few have looked worse with HDMI.

Also, the statement to use HDMI for the cable box, and component for the DVD player is exactly the opposite of what you would want to do if you only had those two sets of cables. VERY few DVD players will do upconvert through component. You want that upconvert feature, so you need to run HDMI for the DVD player.

You can find nice quality HDMI cables for $6-8 on E-bay easily, all new stuff.

He clearly stated the DVD player does not have HDMI. Re-read his post then try to bitch about mis-information.

:nutkick: