Detroit Belle Isle Grand Prix

cptn janks

went up to toledo with my buddy on saturday, stayed at his parents and went to the race on sunday on belle isle. i went to mid ohio this year too... detrot had cooler cars in the car corrals and stuff like that, and you could get a lot closer to the drivers, crews and cars than you could at mid ohio...

the shitty parts were first, that you had to show your ticket every 40 feet to someone to get into another part, there were people telling you where you can and cant go all the time and stuff... at mid ohio you can pretty much walk anywhere you want. there are a couple off limit areas, but nothing like belle isle.

secondly, getting off the island. getting THERE was no problem. we parked and got on a bus, 10 minute drive and we were there. it took for EVER to get OFF the island. like 2 busses would come every 10 minutes or so. not too great when there are 10,000 (?) people who all want on those busses.

but we got off, and got out of detroit without getting shot or stabbed. the roads suck up there too. they are all torn up, and signage is minimal at best. we drove through downtown 3 times before we figured out where we needed to go... and the stupidest thing was the sign for detours a quarter mile AFTER the road that is closed... so you come to that road, think its open and turn, only to find out its closed 3 miles up. no signs no nothing... but then after we looped around, we went straight and saw the sign that said it was closed... must have been a UM grad that put it there ;)

the other things i noticed about detroit, EVERYONE has a domestic (big 3) car. here in columbus every other car is a honda or toyota or hyundai... i think i saw TWO hyundais in detroit.

and people up there drive fast too. i had the cruise control set at 80 and was getting passed by everyone. some old lady in a grand marquis passed me going 95 probably lol. and slow cars will get over for you too. i think the only car i saw going slow in the fast lane had an ohio plate :rolleyes:

anyway here are pics..

http://s149.photobucket.com/albums/s72/harperlou/IRL/detroit%20belle%20isle%20grand%20prix%202008/?start=all

saw a 63 fuelie corvette, a couple 53/03 commemorative editions, TONS of vipers... i was kind of sad i didnt see a new camaro on the street though :(