Night pics my car/clbsinvaders 56k ur screwed

SRTurbo04

Cannon S3IS small tripod got bored and wanted to take pics not the greatest im up for some constructive criticism so by all means teach me how to take pics with my camera

typically on night pics I dont rely on the flash of the camera. I try to position in a spot that has adequate lighting, typically from overhead.

So I would say pick your spots better and your photos will turn out much better.

• Downvote 1

I've taken numerous pictures there before with my old camera, and they turned out good, I have owned the camera for a little over a year, I just want to have an experienced photographer to maybe help me get the camera adjusted to where it needs to be so if one of you photo gurus wouldn't mind helping me out I would greatly appreciate it

A couple recommendations:

-Don't use flash when you are dealing with "deep" photos at night

-Use a tripod and longer exposure times

-Work to correctly position the car. Light from sources other than the flash is key to making the body panels evenly visible.

On the subject of light, I was playing around a couple years back with a 30 sec night exposure. I used a flashlight during the exposure to "paint" the body panels with light. After a few tries, it turned out pretty cool.

Yeah not bad shots for giving it a try. extreme low light photography takes different settings and techniques than daytime and/or flash stuff. To get it really nice you'd almost have to take a shot of the car with off camera flashes and then take a shot with the background correctly exposed and merge them. Other than that you end up with a noisy pic using high ISO settings and getting the right scene with the right street lights around you.

I guess you could run florescent lights off a power inverter and maybe use diffusers to get some highlights as a cheap method.

Evan

• Confused 1

Considering most of the really good shots on here are done by guys who either have jobs as photogs or have a lot of really nice gear ie, several off camera flashes sure the pics ain't good. For a guy trying out some shots not really knowing what his (very capable S3 IS) can do and shooting in a difficult lighting condition (sure he could pick better locations, but thats been mentioned as constructive.) I'd say a lot of guys on here are being pretty harsh.

Evan

I was using a tripod, clbsinvaders and 04srturbo can both say I had a tripod its not the greatest but it works

I think he's talking about the blurred street scene with the car lights streaking. It does look like your waiving the camera around during the shot.

Evan

I think he's talking about the blurred street scene with the car lights streaking. It does look like your waiving the camera around during the shot.

Evan

I expected that one to turn out blurry as we where driving down high street and I just stuck the camera out the window.

As I stated before I want to learn how to use my camera to its full potential to see what it can really do. So if any of you photog's are willing to give me some pointers I would greatly appreciate it maybe even take you out for a beer or something afterwards.

Ah that explains the wavies in that pic. I was wondering if you were in a vehicle at the time. Hehe well now you know what happens:-)

I'm only gonna call myself an expert on extreme low light stuff (I can get the detail out from learning astrophotography.) I am learning daytime shooting, but still a lot to learn.

Evan