Anyone ever have Bell's Palsy?

Mark1647545493

I woke up the other morning and the right side of my face was tingly like it was about an hour after I had a cavity filled and the Novocaine was wearing off. About an hour later the right side of my face was paralyzed. The worst part of it all is the headaches and ear aches. I have to tape my eye shut when I sleep and forget about drinking without a straw.

Most people I've talked to that's had it says that it lasted about a month then it went away as fast as it came on. Apparently anyone that's had chicken pox can get it.

For those that's had it before.....

Did your doctor prescribe you any medications? My doctor has me on a handful of different drugs. neurontin, amitriptilyne, Ketoprofen, Prednisone, and Percocet (for the headaches).

Did your doctor tell you there is any type of therapy you could do to help things along?

My father who is in his upper 70's had a very bad event with this. Came on while driving with my mother. Thought he was having a stroke. Very scary.

The Doctor did give him a shot of some type of shot that apparently helps treat those that have been on-set by some type of Virus. I would look into that with your doctor. I don't have much in the way of details right now.

Anyway, in my father's case it took upwards of 6 months to begin getting better. I have a feeling it is because he is much older and not aging well.

What I remember reading says it may go away in less than 30 days....but that shit still freaks me out, so I say go to the doctor asap.

I woke up the other morning and the right side of my face was tingly like it was about an hour after I had a cavity filled and the Novocaine was wearing off. About an hour later the right side of my face was paralyzed. The worst part of it all is the headaches and ear aches. I have to tape my eye shut when I sleep and forget about drinking without a straw.

Most people I've talked to that's had it says that it lasted about a month then it went away as fast as it came on. Apparently anyone that's had chicken pox can get it.

Did your doctor prescribe you any medications? My doctor has me on a handful of different drugs. neurontin, amitriptilyne, Ketoprofen, Prednisone, and Percocet (for the headaches).

Did your doctor tell you there is any type of therapy you could do to help things along?

I went to the ER after about 6 or 7 hours of it setting in. The ER did a CT scan and did blood work. Wanted to do a spinal tap but I wouldn't let them. My family doctor said he's only seen one case that never went away in a 65 year old diabetic woman. He also mentioned the stress thing but really I haven't been stressed at all. I have to go back to the family doctor and have complete blood testing done. He said when I was in the ER my sugar level was really high so he wants to check for diabetes.

When it first started and I was looking in the mirror it was a little freaky but I couldn't help but laugh when I tried to smile. I look like the Joker. I had all the nurses in the ER cracking up.

I'm getting use to it now. Until you get this you really take for granted the little things like when you eat being able to pull your lips from between the sandwich and your teeth.. sounds funny but I've bit the right side of my bottom lip about 10 times in 2 days! lol

Had it ..lasted about a week maybe 2 ..kind of scary to wake up that way my 1st clue was my coffee tasted bad ….tingly filling then started going numb ..the Dr gave me some kind anti inflammatory pill and steroids … chewed lots of gum on that side ….and keep working your eye trying to get it to move winking ..

Two things I have found helpful in those cases;

1. Electrical Muscle Stimulation . A portable EMS unit can help stimulate muscle activity to prevent muscle atrophy if a long healing time occurs.

2. Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS) Unit. If you have pain associated with it TENS can help control the pain with out the medications.

But the key factor is time.

I had it...Unfortunatly. I was prescribed prednisone and a strong antibiotic but I cant remember what it was. I had to keep putting eyedrops in my eye so it wouldn't dry out and do permanent damage. I had no therapy but it only lasted about 3 weeks on me thank god!