opinions needed, used car, 300zx

wnaplay1647545503

I am considering buying a used 91 n/a 300zx. I have always wanted one and could never bring myself to buy one for some reason or another. I recently found one that is decently priced but it may or may not need a head gasket. This along with other minor issues is making me sway in my opinion. Are these cars hard to work on? Based on prices I have gotten to replace the headgasket, I know their not cheap to work on. Any opinions would certainly help. Thanks Oh the car would only be a fair weather driver only. Mostly sit in the garage. Thanks

I didn't read everything on this thread....

I say get it, i bet most of the guys on here have no idea what the VG30 is capable of. You can TT it later, i would take off the factory turbo's, piping, coolers anyway. Go bigger. That motor stock is considered pretty bullet proof as far as boost limits. Its not uncommon to find one with 400+whp still running stock internals easy. Pretty good for a little 3.0 v6. And just like everything else, there is always the option of an LS swap ( LS1 300zx ).

Let us know what you decide and post pics!

• Confused 1

I didn't read everything on this thread....

I say get it, i bet most of the guys on here have no idea what the VG30 is capable of. You can TT it later, i would take off the factory turbo's, piping, coolers anyway. Go bigger. That motor stock is considered pretty bullet proof as far as boost limits. Its not uncommon to find one with 400+whp still running stock internals easy. Pretty good for a little 3.0 v6. And just like everything else, there is always the option of an LS swap ( LS1 300zx ).

Let us know what you decide and post pics!

It is completely uncommon. The VG30 isn't going anywhere near that on stock internals, well not without spending a shitload of money, that would have been better spent on VG30DETT swap. Go onto 300zxclub, or TT.net and read the rather large list of differences between the TT Z and the N/A. Its not just turbos and intercoolers/piping. You can't just throw turbos onto the N/A and expect it to be a TT. The biggest problem is a lot of folks that try that route get jealous that the TT'ers are boosting 15psi and up on stock internals, so they too, keep pushing the boost. The VG30 isn't going much higher than 10psi (pushing it) cause the compression. Lots of folks have made their VG30's go boom. Which is why if you go start a thread at either of those forums I mentioned titled "Can I turbo the NA?" you're going to get flamed, and rightfully so. The 3 years I frequented those forums you had some noob ask that same shit 3 times a week.

The point being that in all cases its cheaper to just swap the VG30DETT and start with an engine already built for boost, than to turbo the VG30, have less potential than the VG30DETT, and risk kersploding it.

I disagree, as long as it still looks sexy and is faster than 75% of the cars out there, you can't go wrong for $1000.

I dissagree. N/a they are only 165-ish hp. Hell my G5 has 175hp out of 2.4L 4-cyl any of todays v-6's are 200+ now.

I dissagree. N/a they are only 165-ish hp. Hell my G5 has 175hp out of 2.4L 4-cyl any of todays v-6's are 200+ now.

If you're talking about crank HP the NA makes 222hp and the 2.4 G5 is 173hp.

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/1990-to-1996-nissan-300zx-4.htm

http://www.roadandtravel.com/roadtests/reviews/2007roadtests/pontiac-g5.htm

my bad u are correct, i must have looked up the previous generation by accident.

After looking at it and the issues it needed, I had to pass. I still could have made out on it for $1000 but I just didnt want to put the time into it. If it had been a 5spd then maybe despite the fact it was an n/a car. But I will keep looking. Thanks for the help guys.