Ohm testing

nurkvinny

Will has it right, test without power across the speaker. The OHM meter will supply its own power to measure resistance.

hal get off the computer! you just busted yourself with this post bro!

hal get off the computer! you just busted yourself with this post bro!

I said I was accidentally on her name in another thread Rob, lol.

I've been putting people on ignore lately. I figure that might clear up 60% of the things that annoy me.

Guest 614Streets
I said I was accidentally on her name in another thread Rob, lol.

I've been putting people on ignore lately. I figure that might clear up 60% of the things that annoy me.

I ignored Budweiser for almost two months and dropped 15 lbs I didnt want to drop! :( Get your fix!

Thanks. I have "heard" this truck had factory 2 ohm speakers, but everything I am finding through Ebay and Crutchfield is 4.

I don't know about the factory speakers, but the standard for aftermarket is 4 ohm. Sometimes you can find some weird shit out there though. Of course, if you throw in an aftermarket stereo, it will be 4 ohm output. Now, using 4 ohm speakers when the originals are 2 ohm, the only issue you will run into is that there will be less power going to the speakers. The only time you have to worry about hurting the amp, is if you go down in resistance, going up shouldn't hurt it at all.

I don't know about the factory speakers, but the standard for aftermarket is 4 ohm. Sometimes you can find some weird shit out there though. Of course, if you throw in an aftermarket stereo, it will be 4 ohm output. Now, using 4 ohm speakers when the originals are 2 ohm, the only issue you will run into is that there will be less power going to the speakers. The only time you have to worry about hurting the amp, is if you go down in resistance, going up shouldn't hurt it at all.

:wtf:

That got me a little confused. If you decrease the ohm value, say from 4 to 2, the amplifier would have more power drawn from it. Standard rule of thumb is about double. Take subwoofers for example, Say you have a 4 ohm sub rated at 100w RMS 200w Max, your amp would likly be rated at 100w RMS under a 4 ohm load. Now install a different sub with a 2 ohm rating, now your amp pushes to almost 200w RMS, now things overheat and wear out quickly. FYI: RMS is the average constant output.

Sorry if this is more confusing but I am not going to delete it.