Report on Kalita Crash

wagner

Am I missing something on this?

Driver Toxicology

Post mortem toxicological analysis of blood obtained from Scott Kalitta during his autopsy revealed the presence of Ethanol at a level of 23 mg/dL. This level converts to a BAC percentage of .02% BAC. This level, 25% of the legal limit for intoxication in the State of New Jersey, remains in violation of NHRA rules (Section 1.7, I., B.1.) as well as N.J.S.A. Title 13 Chapter 62 New Jersey State Motor Vehicle Racetrack Regulations.

They use Ethanol to start the cars, that level was probably simply from that. Why is that in violation of NHRA rules?

Am I missing something on this?

They use Ethanol to start the cars, that level was probably simply from that. Why is that in violation of NHRA rules?

yeah, I was thinking that, or the nitro methane fire taking place in front of him for over 7 seconds while he was no doubt breathing heavily may have contributed to it. They definitely made it sound as if it was unintended for him to have that level in his blood.

yeah, I was thinking that, or the nitro methane fire taking place in front of him for over 7 seconds while he was no doubt breathing heavily may have contributed to it. They definitely made it sound as if it was unintended for him to have that level in his blood.

Yea I was wondering about that too because that's a crazy level. At least they finally got more information on what went wrong with the car. RIP

BAC can also be elevated by exposure to heat in the event and post-mortem. Both of those situations occured, and probably are the reason for the BAC level.

If you remember that case with the OHP last year, the county coroner initially reported that the troopers were legally drunk. It turned out that their BAC was a result of blood decomposition after the fire.

Per the NHRA rule book Section 1.7

B. At any time when involved in racetrack activities, drivers

and officials are prohibited from being under the influence

of alcohol.

1. There shall be a “zero tolerance” policy with regard to

alcohol. Any driver or official discovered to have a

measurable blood alcohol content during racetrack

activities shall be deemed under the influence of

alcohol and shall be immediately barred from any

further involvement or participation in the event.

Further, he or she will be subject to disciplinary action

as provided for in this Substance Abuse Policy.

That sucks especially if he was out with his team the night before drinking and it was still in his system which is possible!!!