Synthetic Oil

Buck531

Where do you get your synthetic oil and how much is it?

Also, what brand oil filter do you use?

Edit - changed topic title.

Is it really worth it? What are the pro's/con's against using it.

I've been using straight 10w-30 forever and never had a problem with it. Should I switch? Why? Will I gain anything?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do they make specifically made synthetic filters or is it really necessary?

Never seen or heard of one! They do have differant filters. the more you spend the better it is (usually)

Synthetic oil does help if a couple ways. The walls of your motor will stay oiled better when not running-helps with cold starts.

Synthetic oil is slicker=less friction while running. I run it it everything I own.

79xxx miles and no leaks with mobil 1. GM puts it in all of there high performance cars and trucks for a reason. i also use only AC Delco filters from a dealer, the ones from auto zone and advanced are second quality.

79k miles on ONE oil change? :gtfo: :)

I'm a big beleiver in synthetics. Not all are created equal though. Mobil 1 is def the best OEM replacement IMO, but Royal Purple and Redline are awesome performance oils. They have been proven over and over in various mag articles, and from personal experience has increased fuel mileage by a few points. I have also done my own experiment at the track a few years ago, I ran the car on fresh 5-30 valvoline, changed oil to Mobile 1, and made a pass 2 whole tenths quicker. Obviously not a scientific test and I tried to rule out other variables, but the point is I am convinced it's better. Just my 2 cents.

If you are running a high mileage vehicle that has always used dino there is a good chance it will start leaking with synth oil.

Biggest (proven) advantage is the longer service intervals.

I do believe in Mobil1 or K&N filters though.

Except for most filters begin to stop being effective after ~3000-5000 miles.

Mobil 1 oil and filter. Generally, much easier to attain than the other synthetics.

Here's some helpful information.

Oil filter brand info

Motor oil info

Note the Synthetic vs. Mineral Oil part way down and the link to another site (among others), http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/, an excellent site.

Myth: Switching to synthetic for the first time on an older car can cause it to leak. Now if you switch to a thinner oil it can.

Synthetics out perform conventional oils in every aspect. They clean better, they lubricate better, they don't break down nearly as fast as conventional. You could almost run synthetic oil for the entire life of your engine if it wasn't for contaminants like gas, dirt, carbon etc getting in the oil.

Most synthetics are petroleum oils that have been hydroisomerized, "hydro-cracked" as it is commonly called. Although it is not made from a synthesized, engineered molecule and as such is not a true synthetic oil, it does offer a portion of the benefits you would expect from a true synthetic and in fact is usually sold and marketed as a 100% synthetic product. Mobil 1, Castrol, Amsoil etc fall into this category.

Red Line, Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme and some others are 100% true synthetics.

I own three FORD's and I use Motorcraft filters on all. My next oil change I will switch the GT500 over to the Motorcraft Racing filter. It is a higher flowing filter.

I read something like this a while back and was shocked at the results. I didn't read this one because they didn't test my filter of choise.

I do remember a couple things about the last oil filter study that i read. a regular FRAM filter sux. I used to use only fram until I read that about 8yrs ago. Wix filters test the best overall. Heres the link, read if you want. or find other ones by searching "oil filter study"

http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfilterstudy/oilfilterstudy.html

Oil Filters:

Bosch/Purolator/Motorcraft/Quaker State = Made By Purolator

A/C Delco/Older Bosch/Mobil/K&N/STP = Made by Champion Labs

Carquest/Napa/Castrol/Wix = Made by Wix

Fram/Pennzoil = Made by Honeywell

Mobil1 and OEM filters for my cars.

do you know who make Motorcraft filters?