Lights/wiring question...

2 Sweet

I am looking at getting this S10, and the guy who owns the truck says that when you apply the brakes, the reverse lights come on with the brake lights. He says he cleaned out all the grounds on the rear frame rails and didn't fix anything. Thinks the problem might be the headlight switch, because the driver side upper turn signal bulb does not come on even though he put a new bulb in it.

I don't have a clue about wiring and all that, so can somebody shed some light on this for me? I don't want to buy an electrical gremlin that gives me a ton of headaches. Thanks

AJ I have seen that also. I think what he is saying is when the brake is applied both the brake and reverse light is illuminated.

Correct. Actually, I left something out. This is exactly what he said:

"The pic below of the tail light is with the head lights on and the brake pedal applied, which is the only time the problem occurs, and the reverse light eluminates dimmly. When you put into reverse the reverse lights work normally."

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c295/skoval25/lights.jpg

I didn't realize that it only happens with the head lights on...

I just went through a lot of wiring bullshit with the taillights on my s10.

First off make sure you have two way bulbs and that he didn't install a single. If that does nothing you have a couple sets of wires on the driver side under your feet. Pull the carpet back and you'll see them. GM put the connectors right where your feet are and they often times come apart or a wire gets pulled out.

My problem was a little different than yours (right turn signal on made both tails/reverse lights flash and the dashlight as well) but I wouldn't be surprised if one of those wires is pulled from the connector

edit-if that doesn't do anything disconnect the rear wiring(left framerail about a foot from the rear bumper) and hit them with some electric cleaner

Thanks guys, thats some good info.

Another problem when the headlights are on, the turn signals flash really fast, but when the lights are off, the right turn signal is normal and only the left signal flashes really fast (but the front signal doesn't even light up).

Yeah, it has some issues, haha

Thanks guys, thats some good info.

Another problem when the headlights are on, the turn signals flash really fast, but when the lights are off, the right turn signal is normal and only the left signal flashes really fast (but the front signal doesn't even light up).

Yeah, it has some issues, haha

yea either single bulb somewhere, bad combo switch or a wire pulled somewhere. I'd check bulbs, then the wires under the seat and then mess with the switch if you have to.