Drop in Hockey

Scotty2Hotty

The season is almost here, and I've been dying to hit the ice and knock some dust off. Anyone else here been to drop in hockey in the past year or so? Didn't know if I was facing middle aged D league tools, or grade A beef cakes that'll work my ass inside out. I'm thinking I might be ready to go next month, anyone else interested?

Funny you mention this. I have a good friend on my team that goes at least twice a week. He's got the 'scoop' on which drop in's attract what kinds of player's I THINK he said the 11am dublin one attract's mostly older C/D league players. There's alot of doctors that swing by on their lunch break. Thursday at easton its upper C and B types. I know he said the early morning one's is the hardest with the most talent.

What are you looking to play against? easy to start out then work your way up? I can ask him which he prefer's. If you free saturday nights I know a guy that has a small league thats a mix of D and C. Not super competitive but its fun none the less.

Funny you mention this. I have a good friend on my team that goes at least twice a week. He's got the 'scoop' on which drop in's attract what kinds of player's I THINK he said the 11am dublin one attract's mostly older C/D league players. There's alot of doctors that swing by on their lunch break. Thursday at easton its upper C and B types. I know he said the early morning one's is the hardest with the most talent.

What are you looking to play against? easy to start out then work your way up? I can ask him which he prefer's. If you free saturday nights I know a guy that has a small league thats a mix of D and C. Not super competitive but its fun none the less.

Looking to start with the C/D league and work my way up. I haven't touched a skate to ice in over 4 years now, and about 8 since I've played a true game of stick puck. Next week I'm trying to hit the ice on my lunch breaks.

Be at Chiller North tomorrow night at 5:30, I will be. :nod:

Honestly, I got at least once, if not twice a week. I've been playing a lot lately. I'm the "older" guy in the black helmet, half shield, and roller hockey pants. :) And when I say "older", that's because most guys at drop in are late teens / early twenties and I'm almost always the oldest one there, in my early thirties... :D

Be at Chiller North tomorrow night at 5:30, I will be. :nod:

Honestly, I got at least once, if not twice a week. I've been playing a lot lately. I'm the "older" guy in the black helmet, half shield, and roller hockey pants. :) And when I say "older", that's because most guys at drop in are late teens / early twenties and I'm almost always the oldest one there, in my early thirties... :D

I might try to pop by. I need to pick up a few pieces of equipment from play it again sports.

What do you need? I have an extra helmet and shin pads. I'd sell them to you if you need them... :)

Shin pads a must, and I do need. I need to open the bag tonight. Think I'm still rocking a Cooper with a full face Itech sheild. I believe I still need gloves (for certain), pants, and shoulder pads. HotCarl advised me I can go online for some deals on sticks right now too.

Shin pads a must, and I do need. I need to open the bag tonight. Think I'm still rocking a Cooper with a full face Itech sheild. I believe I still need gloves (for certain), pants, and shoulder pads. HotCarl advised me I can go online for some deals on sticks right now too.

Composite sticks aren't nearly as expensive as they use to be when you played. I picked up my TPS composite for 30$ from a friend and it was brand new. I did notice Play it Again had some sort of non-wood sticks for cheap but they're selection is limited.

As much as Im enjoying ice i do miss roller hockey. :(

Man, I can skate well, but I have never played actual hockey. I would be interested, but i may not have the time. I skate with Erica almost every wednesday at OSU, but it's a public skate.....

You'd be surprised just how much harder playing stick and puck hockey is than just skating. We always had guys who knew how to roller blade, who did it every weekend in the park and figured they could just play roller hockey. no way. But you should definitly try it out, its a blast.

• 1 month later...
Is there an open floor hockey league anywhere? I thought I heard about one in Grandview, but I'm not sure if it's still around. I played roller hockey as a kid and I'd really like to play again, but I can't ice skate well enought to play "real" hockey. That and don't want to put too much money into it a first just in case I'm not as good as I thought I was ;).

Is there an open floor hockey league anywhere? I thought I heard about one in Grandview, but I'm not sure if it's still around. I played roller hockey as a kid and I'd really like to play again, but I can't ice skate well enought to play "real" hockey. That and don't want to put too much money into it a first just in case I'm not as good as I thought I was ;).

Just in case you didnt see the other thread. Its called Central Ohio Roller Hockey, it is in Grandview. Drop-In's are Fridays for roller and I think Tuesdays for floor hockey.

http://www.columbusrollerhockey.com/index2.htm

Early evening at the Ice Haus (5-6pm) is when the A-B guys normally show up. and friday nights there can be some talent. Rest tend to be c-d level, pretty mixed. I used to play 3-5 times a week. Friday night in westeville were always favorite. Typically lots of b level very competitive with a few slow older thrown in.