wheel bearings

87GT

OK so is it normal to have to replace wheel bearings every 3 months? The car does have a lot of miles (179K) on it. It is just getting old getting them replaced so many times a year.

Anyone know if there is an issue with 97 cavaliers having problems with wheel bearings?

OK so is it normal to have to replace wheel bearings every 3 months? The car does have a lot of miles (179K) on it. It is just getting old getting them replaced so many times a year.

Anyone know if there is an issue with 97 cavaliers having problems with wheel bearings?

Guess I missed this, those hub bearings don't usually go bad that often. I have had problems with a lot of the cheaper stuff, I always try to use Timken bearings SKF isn't too bad either. The rest all seem to be made overseas.

I guess I should try OEM ones next time. This maybe an issue too... the last owner abused the car by pulling the e-brake all the time. This broke the ABS valve according to what he told me. So when hitting the brake the car pulls. If I have to stop quick and ABS engages the back wheels engage too long before it lets go of the wheel. So it feels like the back end jumps off the ground.

it's common for the 95-99 cav's and sunfires to eat through wheelbearings once one goes. I put 5 on my old 97 z24 within a 14-15 month period. At first I replaced with the cheap ones and when they went bad I assumed that's why. Bought the more expensive ones and they didn't last much longer.

yes I did them correctly an know my way around automobiles:)

edit-also had a 95 cavalier that I had to replace them on a couple times as well

it's common for the 95-99 cav's and sunfires to eat through wheelbearings once one goes. I put 5 on my old 97 z24 within a 14-15 month period. At first I replaced with the cheap ones and when they went bad I assumed that's why. Bought the more expensive ones and they didn't last much longer.

yes I did them correctly an know my way around automobiles:)

edit-also had a 95 cavalier that I had to replace them on a couple times as well

+1 I had this same problem several years ago on my wife's 2000 Cav. The originals lasted 100k, but once they went bad, they had to be changed about every 6-7 months. I never bought cheap bearings and they were always torqued to the correct specs. I checked everything in the front end, and always cleaned the knuckle before installing the new ones. We sold the car a few years back, but I never could figure it out.

if the car pulls when you brake you probably have a siezed up caliper if the rear brakes are grabbing they prolly just need adjusted or the drums turned if you have a caliper dragging that can fuck up your wheel bearing too

+1 on that, heat kills everything.

+1 I had this same problem several years ago on my wife's 2000 Cav. The originals lasted 100k, but once they went bad, they had to be changed about every 6-7 months. I never bought cheap bearings and they were always torqued to the correct specs. I checked everything in the front end, and always cleaned the knuckle before installing the new ones. We sold the car a few years back, but I never could figure it out.

+1 J-bodies, N-bodies, and W-bodies are real bad on bearings in that era. I am on the 3rd set of wheel bearings in my g/f car and I put OEM in this last time. It still didn't help. Since she literally drives 1/2 mile to work and then home, I stopped replacing them. I may get around to it in the spring, they have been like this since last winter and still aren't bad enough to allow any looseness when you left the car and shake down the front end. It is mainly a noise/vibration issue.