Buying a matress.

thorne

Ok, I've been sleeping on waterbeds most my life. I've switched to a matress on and off but it's always been like my parents old one I used in a spare bedroom.

I'm a waterbed person =) but my wife is far from it. She hates the motion.

SOOOOO

Since I've never bought a matress before I started looking WTF is this crazy prices I see at retail stores. It seems silly, When i've laid on them at stores they never well I could sleep on the cold floor and be fine, I used to do it at large lan partys. Yes I'm a geek.

Is there anyway to get something descent that does not cost arm/leg? May a good Online retailers. I was hoping for some magical CHINESE Matress bootlegging operation like they have for everything else like cell phone batterys, Ipod cases, mp3 players , lcds, well just about everything. But ebay said ummm nope.

google found me a bunch of retail chains and shit. If anyone has suggestions let me know. Maybe I'm just a cheap ass which is entirely possible since in my mind a bed lays pretty low on the list. Well below say my areon desk chair.

how much are you looking to spend? we got a VERY nice mattress from i believe its called mattress gallery. its in the small strip mall infront of meijer at broad and waggoner. the price on the tag was 699, we ended up talking the guy into free delivery, then when i was thinking out loud what the cost would be with tax, he said "nope, ill cover the taxes too". we ended up walking out of there with a brand new queen size mattress and boxspring for 700$ and they delivered it the next day.

you can get a cheap-o hard as fuck one there for like 249 but your back will hate you

Looks like my cheap ass is going to spend more money then i would like. b,lah1

You spend a third of your life on a mattress, don't be cheap!

King Koil is a good mattress, most of the time if you tell them your chiropractor sent you they will give you 10% off.

If you are interested in a Tempur-Pedic of a Select Comfort I can order direct through my office and get you a better price.

My next mattress will be a select comfort.

My .02 throw the water bed away, your spine will thank you later.

Mattress companies make a stupid amount of money off selling a mattress. Treat a mattress like a car deal. I used to sell home furnishings. If you are looking at a mattress that costs 1k dollars they realistically paid 250 dollars for the mattress. I am not joking when i say if you go into a mattress place do not spend over half of what retail price is unless you love the mattress. If you want send me a pm and I will tell you which mattress companies have the most mark up and which ones do have intially higher amount in them.

Also get free stuff. After you have argued the price of the mattress down get them to throw in sheet sets. Also keep in mind if they are trying to sell you on the mattress warranty ask what needs to be done. Almost all mattress companies require that there bed be taken care of in a specific way as to not void the warranty. Alot of times you will have to get something that goes around mattress to keep the warranty valid.

http://www.target.com/Bed-Protector-Mattress-Pad/dp/B0002SC6QG

Something like that is basically what you have to keep on the bed to keep a warranty valid. You can usually get those thrown in for free.

My last two bed purchases were a 2400 dollar spring air mattress that was purchased about 10 years ago. Retail was 2400 i bought it for roughly 400 bucks with 2 sets of sheets and bed protector. It was a 4 seasons dual pillow top mattress. At the time was one of best mattress's you could buy.

My last bed purchased about 4 years ago was a Simmons no flip pillow top mattress retail was 1499 and i paid 450 dollars with 3 sets of sheets bed protector and delivered and setup.

Let me know if you have anymore questions Thorne

Mattress companies make a stupid amount of money off selling a mattress. Treat a mattress like a car deal. I used to sell home furnishings. If you are looking at a mattress that costs 1k dollars they realistically paid 250 dollars for the mattress. I am not joking when i say if you go into a mattress place do not spend over half of what retail price is unless you love the mattress. If you want send me a pm and I will tell you which mattress companies have the most mark up and which ones do have intially higher amount in them.

Also get free stuff. After you have argued the price of the mattress down get them to throw in sheet sets. Also keep in mind if they are trying to sell you on the mattress warranty ask what needs to be done. Almost all mattress companies require that there bed be taken care of in a specific way as to not void the warranty. Alot of times you will have to get something that goes around mattress to keep the warranty valid.

http://www.target.com/Bed-Protector-Mattress-Pad/dp/B0002SC6QG

Something like that is basically what you have to keep on the bed to keep a warranty valid. You can usually get those thrown in for free.

My last two bed purchases were a 2400 dollar spring air mattress that was purchased about 10 years ago. Retail was 2400 i bought it for roughly 400 bucks with 2 sets of sheets and bed protector. It was a 4 seasons dual pillow top mattress. At the time was one of best mattress's you could buy.

My last bed purchased about 4 years ago was a Simmons no flip pillow top mattress retail was 1499 and i paid 450 dollars with 3 sets of sheets bed protector and delivered and setup.

Let me know if you have anymore questions Thorne

Good info

You spend a third of your life on a mattress, don't be cheap!

King Koil is a good mattress, most of the time if you tell them your chiropractor sent you they will give you 10% off.

If you are interested in a Tempur-Pedic of a Select Comfort I can order direct through my office and get you a better price.

My next mattress will be a select comfort.

My .02 throw the water bed away, your spine will thank you later.

I'm not on a waterbed atm. I sleep on a older matress my parents gave me. The springs are wearing down though and it seems to have a gangsta lean.

Tempur-Pedic memory foam is the only bed you need. Spend the extra cash. You are a baller so you can afford it. ^_^

I just went with a memory foam and its the best thing ive ever did, my old bed was a standard coil bed, which was made by king koil which was nice but the past year I started waking up with a sore back, I ended up going to a chiropractor getting my body alined, and he told me it might be time for a new bed. 2 days later I ordered and set it up and had no issues with my back the following week.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't have an opinion on brand - everyone likes what they like. I would suggest you try here:

http://www.mackmattressoutlet.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=23&Itemid=41

I've purchased the last three mattresses I've needed for the house there. They buy the mismatched, scuffs (my last set of box springs had what looked like a forklift tire rub on one side - it was a king slpit set - I just turned it to the inside), "last years" colors and so on. All their stuff is new, and they only have what they have at the moment, but I've been able to get something I liked each time. Cheap stuff all the way up to top of the line pillow top sets. Last go round was a Simmons king set $399-mattress and box springs.

• 3 weeks later...

One thing to bear in mind: Matress cover.

Some warnties specify that to warnty the ,atress, it must be stain free. So if you are breaking out the jello and motor oil for a good night of fun, make sure you have the matress cover on*

I bought a nice set about 4 years ago, it is a hybrid, decent matress with 4" of memory foam on it. I can sleep on a rock, so no biggie for me, but my wife has problems sleeping on anything other than it.

*Not from personal experiance, honest.....

My wife and I bought a mattress and box frame and head and foot board from the original mattress factory, Paid 1K for it all this was in February for some reason its sagging in the middle now and killing my back. I'm calling in the morning to see what can be done