Tell me about hyper/super motards?

Trouble Maker

Or whatever you call them. Like the Honda CRF230M. Who has what, what do you think about them?

Something small, light, easy to ride. Thinking I like the idea of a smaller engine. But something that still has a pretty good sized gas tank for the ability to go longer distance still. Seems like a lot of the 'converted' motards have the smaller tank you would typically see on off road bikes.

I've wanted a bike for a while. Thinking about getting one.

Keep in mind this would be my first bike.

I like the idea of something I can throw my mountain bike and and/or a few of panniers on to throw some camping gear in too. Go do some touring or at the very lest be able to ride to trails. I'm guessing the panniers precludes typical motards just due to their physical design. But I don't know a ton about what you can do with them, so tell me.

A supermoto isn't what I would pick for a first bike.

Even something with a smaller engine?

Are they just not easy to ride?

I would think they would ride, have a riding position something like a crossover/naked bike. Something between a sports bike and cruiser. Seems like it would work to me. But I'm not a rider, obviously, so tell me what I'm missing.

SV650, then buy a supermoto later.

I guess a small supermoto wouldn't be too horrid... but to me that kills the point of one. I want huge wheelies in every gear, KX500 style. :lol:

The "converted" tards as you call them can do about 100 miles...

The "converted" tards as you call them can do about 100 miles...

I'm not thinking about getting a dirt bike and converting it, or buying one that's already converted. Just that style, like the CRF230M. Seems like, and what I've read is they have smaller tanks than you would typically see on a road bike, even sport bike.

Great, they get 70mpg (as long as you're not fat), but if the tank is only 2 gal give or take you still aren't getting anywhere very far. That would only get me to and from work for 2 days. I know you'll have this with most bikes, but the impression I get is not to that extent.

I kind of figured the SV650 would come up. It's everyones go-to suggestion for the 1st bike. Not like that's a bad thing from what I hear.

SV650s can be really fun bikes. Stock the suspension setup sucks, but you can fix that easy.

Find one that already has a Gixxer front and a good rear shock and thank me later.

Have you taken the MSF course? If not I would suggest doing so... well worth the $25.

SV650s can be really fun bikes. Stock the suspension setup sucks, but you can fix that easy.

Find one that already has a Gixxer front and a good rear shock and thank me later.

Have you taken the MSF course? If not I would suggest doing so... well worth the $25.

Nope, that's the only thing I think riders agree on more than the SV650 being a good (first) bike. :D When I get a bike I will definitely take it.

Thanks for the tip on the SV650 suspension if I decide to go that route.

What's the deal with the SV650 suspension stock. Just not good dampers or does that setup actually change the height/geometry and fix some 'issue' there?

They stock suspension is super soft. It isn't horrible for a n00b rider, but once you realize you can toss them into turns you'll want something more suited for it.

A Gixxer front is a direct bolt on. Massive improvement over the stock forks, and clip ons are > handlebars, so add that for another plus. You've got quite a few options when upgrading the rear.

The best part is all of that can be done cheap.

... and as a matter of personal preference, add the lower plastic cowl that hides the stock pipe, makes the bike look 200% better.

Do you plan on riding the motorcycle off-road at all?

I actually think a supermoto or dual-sport is an ideal candidate for a first bike. The problem with the smaller bikes like the Honda you are looking at is they are not much fun on the highway.

Check out the Suzuki DR-Z400SM. It is the "sv650" of the supermoto world. Great beginner bike, does a lot of things well, low maintenance, cheap, high reliability. Many end up upgrading because of the lack of power though.

Here's my Husky, most fun you can have on two wheels :cool:

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f313/zpilotz01/toys/husky.jpg

this video was the riders first time on motard....you would easily be able to duplicate

If I get one this place will be the first to see the video of me trying. :p

Do you plan on riding the motorcycle off-road at all?

I actually think a supermoto or dual-sport is an ideal candidate for a first bike. The problem with the smaller bikes like the Honda you are looking at is they are not much fun on the highway.

Check out the Suzuki DR-Z400SM. It is the "sv650" of the supermoto world. Great beginner bike, does a lot of things well, low maintenance, cheap, high reliability. Many end up upgrading because of the lack of power though.

Here's my Husky, most fun you can have on two wheels :cool:

Nice bike, although I beg to differ on that last part, but I am a mountain biker. :) I will check out the Suzuki. That's exactly what I'm looking for as I don't know what's out there and what they are all about. Of course I'm going to look to Kawi, Suzuki and Honda to see what they have, but so many people make bikes I'm not going to have any idea about some of the good offerings. I was just using the Honda as a reference for my question as I had read an article on that and 'know' about that bike.

I do realize that a 2xxcc bike isn't going to be a fast bike by any means and I'm not expecting that. Although I've been reading that the Honda's engine is pretty anemic. Seems like the water cooled FI offerings are the better, but usually more expensive way to go.

I don't plan to ride it off road... but if I take it touring (camping and/or biking) it may just happen at times.

If I get one this place will be the first to see the video of me trying. :p

Nice bike, although I beg to differ on that last part, but I am a mountain biker. :) I will check out the Suzuki. That's exactly what I'm looking for as I don't know what's out there and what they are all about. Of course I'm going to look to Kawi, Suzuki and Honda to see what they have, but so many people make bikes I'm not going to have any idea about some of the good offerings. I was just using the Honda as a reference for my question as I had read an article on that and 'know' about that bike.

I do realize that a 2xxcc bike isn't going to be a fast bike by any means and I'm not expecting that. Although I've been reading that the Honda's engine is pretty anemic. Seems like the water cooled FI offerings are the better, but usually more expensive way to go.

I don't plan to ride it off road... but if I take it touring (camping and/or biking) it may just happen at times.

Sounds like a supermoto would work for you just fine. If your goal is to get to the trails and then take off riding them on your motorcycle, a dual-sport is the way to go. Supermoto can handle the dry pack with ease. Just know you aren't going to make it very far on street tires if its muddy.

I wasnt even talking about "speed" on the smaller displacement bikes. Wind will blow you around, engine wound out at highway speeds, vibrate your brains out, etc. If you are on a track or in the twisties, those little bikes are ideal. If you need to spend an hour on the road @ 60mph to get to the twisties, you might want something with a little more size to it.

Then again, if this is strictly going to be your commuter, an sv650 or KTM (http://www.990superduke.com/) might be the better choice.

Sounds like a supermoto would work for you just fine. If your goal is to get to the trails and then take off riding them on your motorcycle, a dual-sport is the way to go. Supermoto can handle the dry pack with ease. Just know you aren't going to make it very far on street tires if its muddy.

I'm not planing to off-road this bike. The primary reason for it 'now' is a 'commuter' and something to go have fun on.

By taking it to a trail it's only a means to get there. Then I will ride my mountain bike or hike. That's just an idea for now. Basically it would be great if it had some possibility for panniers for that type of touring. I was saying that in some situations there I may 'need' to ride 'offroad' for bit, but that's a remote possibility and would probably never necessarily be 'needed'.

Thanks for the comments on the size of the smaller bikes. Guess they just have their upsides and downsides.

This is all pending moving into my new place and seeing if there's any place to really put a bike. No garage, so it may have to wait a few years until I get a house. Just getting ideas for now.

my firend had a suzuzki drz400sm, and while it wa a super fun bike, if you plan on doing any distant rides, even a decently long commute to work.. say 30 min or so, especially if its on any highway .. it sucks

check out a honda 599, the likes.. if your lookig for a naked bike

This is what I'm trying to buy right now, but I have to sell one of my bikes first:

http://www.seastarsuperbikes.co.uk/Ducati/Images/Bikes/Hypermotard/Ducati%20Hypermotard%20rhs%20blk.jpg

http://www.superbike.co.uk/imageBank/d/Ducati%20HyperMotard.jpg

http://twistingasphalt.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/xaus_hypermotard.jpg