Corolla or civic?

Big A

Well Im looking for a new car and after looking today the best cars i could find that meet my needs include a 98 civic with 100K miles and a 2001 Corolla with 94K miles. Both are very close in price. The civic has some hail damage, has been hit in the rear end, new tires and is one owner. The corolla had some some small scratches but nothing major i could see. I didn't get the car fax from them yet so I'm not sure if it has been wrecked or not. Which would you go with?

I say civic as I prefer hondas to toyotas but does the toyota also have a timing chain issue at this mileage point?

No :confused:

Corollas are going to retain value much better than the Civic. Finding parts is the same if not easier than a honda... BUT I am pretty biased even though hondas are great cars.

ONLY, thing I will recommend is making sure that corolla doesn't burn oil.. the 1zz had problems with rings going bad- particularly that year.

Corollas are going to retain value much better than the Civic. Finding parts is the same if not easier than a honda... BUT I am pretty biased even though hondas are great cars.

ONLY, thing I will recommend is making sure that corolla doesn't burn oil.. the 1zz had problems with rings going bad- particularly that year.

Do the corollas hold value better than a civic? My wife had her civic for 4 years and someone hit her and totalled the car. She got a check for $2,000 less than what she payed for it four years earlier. She bought the car new, in case that question comes up. I have never seen a car hold value like that. If the corolla is better, then they must be paying almost what people payed for them in a similar situation.

I am also with Sean on the whole Geo Prizm/Toyota corolla thing though. I just picked up a 92 prizm that has 150,000 on it and it seems to be in very good working condition. Hopefully it lasts atleast as long as his. Can't really go wrong with either car.

Do the corollas hold value better than a civic? My wife had her civic for 4 years and someone hit her and totalled the car. She got a check for $2,000 less than what she payed for it four years earlier. She bought the car new, in case that question comes up. I have never seen a car hold value like that. If the corolla is better, then they must be paying almost what people payed for them in a similar situation.

I am also with Sean on the whole Geo Prizm/Toyota corolla thing though. I just picked up a 92 prizm that has 150,000 on it and it seems to be in very good working condition. Hopefully it lasts atleast as long as his. Can't really go wrong with either car.

From what I have seen, I believe the civic does hold better value.

How can i check this on just a simple test drive?

From what I have seen, I believe the civic does hold better value.

How can i check this on just a simple test drive?

Ask the owner if he's ever had any problems with the car.. find out if it's on it's second motor or not and check the oil dipstick to see if it's low. If the car is running, always check for blue smoke, CEL or anything out of the ordinary. I would just ask some simple questions about general maintenance that might give you any hints about how well it was kept.

There is a way to tell by looking at the block code if it's the problematic engine or not, I'm looking it up as I type this. They made some changes mid-year to solve the oil burning issues.

Ask the owner if he's ever had any problems with the car.. find out if it's on it's second motor or not and check the oil dipstick to see if it's low. If the car is running, always check for blue smoke, CEL or anything out of the ordinary. I would just ask some simple questions about general maintenance that might give you any hints about how well it was kept.

There is a way to tell by looking at the block code if it's the problematic engine or not, I'm looking it up as I type this. They made some changes mid-year to solve the oil burning issues.

yea if you could find that out that would be great. im going to look at it and drive it sat i hope.

I'd go with the civic, more readily available parts for cheap, along with huge forums for any troubleshooting.

I'll agree with the forum comment, but parts are just as readily available for the Corolla's as a Honda and they are just as cheap. Corolla's are less of a cluster fuck to work on as well.

I'll take a Toyota over a Honda anyday. My opinion having to work on both on a daily basis.

yea if you could find that out that would be great. im going to look at it and drive it sat i hope.

Found it for you :)

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=255210&highlight=1zzfe

Yes, compression check will tell you if you have the 'loose piston tolerances' 1ZZFE corolla motors. These burn oil. About 5% of the engines from 00-01 era have this issue. Also check your engine serial on the side of the motor.

If it ends with -K75ZN, you may likely have an oil burner. The 01-02 corollas/prizms Ive owned with the -K85ZN serial endings have never had any oil burning issues.

There is an issue with improper pistons vs. bore tolerance. This causes rings to quickly wear out and an oil burning issue.

*EDIT*

Just to help out with your decision, consider up-coming maintenance both cars might need. Hondas usually need TB and waterpumps around 100k so I would see if that's been done recently. Timing chains are less worry since the first thing to fail, if they even do, are the chain guides. There are no other common problems with the corolla other than what I had previously stated.

Well aware of the oil problem, I was actually in the market for one of these before I bought my VW.. just couldn't find the exact S model that I wanted.