Hang on sloopy?

Scotty2Hotty

Hang on sloopy IS Ohio. It gives me a sense of pride, because it's one of those things that makes Ohio....Ohio.

We can't brag about our mountain view or great weather all year or beach views....but we can sing the shit out of hang on sloopy, and scream O-H-I-O in the middle.

"The song gained an association with The Ohio State University after its marching band began playing it at football games; it first played it October 9, 1965 after a band member, John Tatgenhorst, begged the director to try playing it. After finally convincing the director, Tatgenhorst arranged the song and the band played. After the crowd reaction, the band began to play it at every game and now it is a Saturday tradition to play the song before the start of the fourth quarter of every Buckeye game. Since then, the song has become an unofficial fight song for the university, with it appearing on the band's CDs and as a free download on its website.

The song has also become a feature at all Cincinnati Bengals and Cleveland Browns home games where, like at Ohio State, it is traditionally played before the fourth quarter. Fans usually chant the letters "O, H, I, O" during the pauses in the chorus while mimicking the shape of the letters with their arms. It is also often done at home games of the Cleveland Cavaliers and Cleveland Indians.

The "O, H, I, O" chant was incorporated into a version of the song recorded by the Columbus, Ohio based rock band Saving Jane."