Mustang tranny help.

BlackMess

I recently purchased a 93 gt 5 speed. I noticed as soon as I was driving the car home while accelerating in 3rd gear the car was whining I originally thought it was a belt but it does not do it with the clutch pushed in. The tranny also grinds terrible when shifting hard into second. I'm new to the fox scene and was curious if these trannys are notorious for going bad. The vehicle only has 64k miles on it.

Thanks

I agree with all of the above statements. The T-5 is a piece of shit. The torque rating of these transmissions isn't enough to cover the torque of a stock car with extra timing put in. Before you hose the tranny, take it out, sell it, replace the throw out bearing, put a TKO in the car, and beat the hell out of it. That is all.

tko will need a 26 spline clutch..instead of the stock 10spline!soupgrade that whileyour at it

They make a 10 spline TKO now, called the TKO 500, but I would just go right for the TKO 600. The 600 has the 26 spline input shaft and I've seen enough 10 spline shafts decide to bend or break, so 26 is the way to go.

I would definitely get a firewall adjuster, quadrant, and keep the stock cable. It will make all the difference in driving the car. I have installed a few of these, and everyone loved the difference it made in the car.

Dave- I think they make a 26 spline 500. the tko 500 and tko 600 just have different gear ratios but everything else is the same from what I have researched.

ddperformance.com

I would definitely get a firewall adjuster, quadrant, and keep the stock cable. It will make all the difference in driving the car. I have installed a few of these, and everyone loved the difference it made in the car.

Dave- I think they make a 26 spline 500. the tko 500 and tko 600 just have different gear ratios but everything else is the same from what I have researched.

ddperformance.com

They also make a 10 spline 500, one of the guys I know runs it.

go take driving lessons from derek then put your stock trans back in ;)

Either he got the freak 3650, or he doesn't beat on it as hard as some. One of my friends broke 3 3650's and another friend broke atleast two. They don't hold up to well to powershifting.

my old t5 in my fox would grind going into second with shifting hard, when the car was cold. once the car heated up, the situation improved. the other problem is the throw-out bearing as described above.

if you're not going to go nuts, just by a world class t5, with a centerforce clutch, billet clutch quadrant, new throw out bearing, firewall adjuster, and a new ford stock clutch cable. if you plan on drag racing the car much, or going over 300hp, then upgrade the tranny to a tremec

my old t5 in my fox would grind going into second with shifting hard, when the car was cold. once the car heated up, the situation improved. the other problem is the throw-out bearing as described above.

if you're not going to go nuts, just by a world class t5, with a centerforce clutch, billet clutch quadrant, new throw out bearing, firewall adjuster, and a new ford stock clutch cable. if you plan on drag racing the car much, or going over 300hp, then upgrade the tranny to a tremec

it has a world class in it already? also a steel bearing retainer should be fitted.