decal removal help?

brennan

ignore me in the picture haha. i'm wanting to clean my bike up a bit, and i was curious as to how i can get these decals off without scratching up my plastics. the one on the tail should be easy i would think. do i use a credit card and heat gun of something? but i'm worried about the tank. the tank is cleared over. i'm not sure if there is a way to get the sticker off and get the tank re-cleared or what. i've been watching ebay for just an all red tank, but i haven't had any luck. any suggestions?

2hnntlc.jpg

heat is your friend for decal removal and fingernails.

as far as the tank decal: sand over the decal area only to remove the clear and then remove as normal.

im going to as far as saying you'll have an odd looking spot and a "valley" in your clear when you remove it. If you opt to get it re cleared they will probably just sand all the old clear off anyways.

Brennan go to NAPA and ask for a 3m stripe removing tool. It's a drill attatchment that is like an eraser. It's about $30, it will work on the rear, but I don't know if it will go through clear.

you sure that wouldn't mess up my plastics?

Don't let it sit in one spot and burn a hole in them. You will have to feel it out for yourself on how fast to move the thing, but it's not something that would tear it up.

I used it on my Toyota. The stupid factory stripes on the older trucks, are not on mine :D. A good buff job afterwards and you can't even tell I did anything.

Hell I still got the thing if you want to borrow it. I'll be around Amberly village the next couple days.

DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT USE THE 3M STRIPE REMOVAL TOOL!!!!!!!! say good by to your plastics it will eat right through them. As for the tank it will need painted to be done properley

Thanks for that info. I have only used it on metal surfaces. Did you have a bad experience?:(

no bad experience but ive seen some body guys that have used them on bumpers with horendous results it eats through like nothing

I can vouch for that it is a bad idea thats kinda how my honda has been ended up getting spray painted ate threw the paint in several spots thats when i tried the lighter works much better

Leave the one on the tank alone. You will trash the tank if you remove "some" of the clearcoat. on the tail, hairdryer, fingernail and paitence. Waiting till its a little warmer, or bringing the tail into the house a couple days previous wouldnt hurt.

I work at a graphics shop and we do decal removal almost every so I'll reiterate what some of the others said with some expert advice behind it.

Do not use a 3m or any other stripper tool. These are designed for removing wraps on buses or really old vinyl on a surface that doesn't need to look good.

A heat gun is your friend, just don't leave it in one place too long and melt your plastics. Also work in a warm area, cold vinyl is brittle and will not come as easily.

See if you can find a tool called Lil Chisler. It is a little pink plastic scraper that is designed for removing graphics on vehicles. Don't use it as a scraper though, just very gently use it to get an edge started and then peel it slowly.

Use goo gone to remove adhesive, or even better a remover called Right Off, but I doubt you'll find in stores, it is a somewhat specialized product.

Some of these decals have thick silvery adhesive on them, and you will better off peeling the decal and leaving the adhesive and removing it later. I had one of these on a jeep before and yanked it so I didn't have to clean adhesive and it peeled the paint. Low and slow is the key to peeling.

Skip the tank, worrying about the clear coat isn't worth it, and the bike looks good with it anyway.