oil on plugs = ??

evan9381

buddy and i went to pittsburgh friday. he left about an hour before me today. calls me while im on my way home, says his car started making an odd tapping noise, and the motor was shaking pretty bad. said he was only 4-5 miles from home, so he decided to try to drive it home. got a blinking CEL, which, IIRC, on these cars means "severe catalyst failure".

i get to his place a bit later, pull the plugs, and get 3 that look like this

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/evan938/IMG_2161.jpg?t=1224445799

and one that looks like this

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/evan938/IMG_2160.jpg?t=1224445799

lucky for him the car is still under warranty, so he's getting it towed in in the morning...thought i'd see if anyone has any ideas so i can maybe give him a heads up of what to expect

car is a 2005 hyundai elantra w/ ~55k miles.

Guest Removed
Anything from a cracked head, leaking valve, piston rings, hell it could even have a hole in the piston. Enjoy having a warranty, and enjoy your loner from hyandai, you'll be driving it a few days....................or longer.

plus 1 :D

im not fucking with it, nor is he. was just curious as to what anyone thought it may be.

he got it towed in today and got a mazda6 for a rental. i guess he even bought the extended warranty when he bought the car, so its covered to 100k bumper to bumper...not sure how much it extended the powertrain