Diesel owners...

SRTurbo04

Ok I've got a few questions for people out there ... I'm currently in the market for a used truck eathier a f250 diesel or a cummins ram preferable 2000 an up. When looking threw the listings most trucks keep there value even with 100+k miles. I know they say the engine can last forever, but can the trannys, body, suspension ect last ? Any opinions on pros or cons of eathier truck?

Thanks for your input

Never owned a deisel but From the experiences of all my friends back down in southern ohio where I used to live, Most of the trucks would fall apart around the engine. There were several guys well into the 300,000 mile range.

Guest mitsumodder
Ok I've got a few questions for people out there ... I'm currently in the market for a used truck eathier a f250 diesel or a cummins ram preferable 2000 an up. When looking threw the listings most trucks keep there value even with 100+k miles. I know they say the engine can last forever, but can the trannys, body, suspension ect last ? Any opinions on pros or cons of eathier truck?

Thanks for your input

WOW!!! grammar...

both trucks have engine changes in 2003. The ford switched from the 7.3L to the 6.0L. (2003 ford could have either engine) Dodge went from the 24valve vp44 injection pumped motor to the common rail cp3 injection pump. Both truck will be able to tow roughly the same. The dodges have horrible auto trannys and generally need rebuilt every 100-120k miles. Also the dodges will rust out first.

Ford-Pros

7.3L motor-responds well to mods

Good trannys auto and 6spd

Higher towing capacity than dodge

Engines last up to 500k before rebuild

6.0L engines have the torque-shift 5 spd auto tranny

King Ranch/Harley packages

Ford Cons

6.0L engine-Common injector/recalibration problems

Will respond good to simple mods-further mods will inlcude upgrading headstuds and futher work.

Usually high sale prices than dodge

Higher maintance cost

Dodge Pros.

Indestructable Cummins engine (on 98-02 avoid 53 block)

Cheap on maintance and intital cost

500-600k before rebuild--ive seen a 12valve (94-97) with 1.4mil miles

good 5spd tranny

Dodge Cons.

auto tranny

chrysler air conditioning

if 4wd--ive heard many people having problems always needing rebuilt

6spd tranny is good-but con because the company that made it went under and it is harder to find parts

Rust/poor metal

Overall the Ford will be the better choice.

Any aftermarket mods and the dodge is the winner.

My perfect truck would be a 97 12 valve (auto-suncoast tranny) 2wd reg cab shortbed.

Cummins.

/thread

I've got an '82 Chevy 6.2L diesel, and even though the engine is indestructible and can run on damn near everything, there is a bigger problem with ANY diesel; the current taxes on diesel fuel should REALLY piss you off.

Reg Unleaded - $2.2x

Diesel - $3.7x??????????

Why is diesel so expensive? Among other things, the Bush administration decided to put billions of tax dollars behind ethanol...and every gallon of diesel is taxed nearly a dollar to help pay for this. Stupid, stupid stuff....:(

Thanks for your input

Transmissions depending on how they were used are usually the first to go. I'd tend to stick away from trucks that were modded IE, Chips, programmers, exhuasts etc.. The amount of torque those trucks make, put their factory trannies to shame. Suspension is like everything else, check out ball joints, tie rods, shocks and the front suspension. The 7.3 Ford motor is a beast, I think you'll find those in the F250's up til 03', and the 5.9 Cummins speaks for itself. Again, both trucks should have their transmissions looked at, depending on how they were used. With the proper exhaust, intake, and programmer, we've seen well over 21MPG on these trucks. Right now is a hell of a time to buy too.

. Right now is a hell of a time to buy too.

That's why I'm looking ha..

Josh thanks for the good info I'm gonna dig deeper

It seems all the trucks in my price range are all over 100k miles hmm might have tolook further into this tranny issues

I've got an '82 Chevy 6.2L diesel, and even though the engine is indestructible and can run on damn near everything, there is a bigger problem with ANY diesel; the current taxes on diesel fuel should REALLY piss you off.

Reg Unleaded - $2.2x

Diesel - $3.7x??????????

Why is diesel so expensive? Among other things, the Bush administration decided to put billions of tax dollars behind ethanol...and every gallon of diesel is taxed nearly a dollar to help pay for this. Stupid, stupid stuff....:(

Diesel has always taken longer than gas for price adjustments. When gas first started to climb, there was a period of time where diesel cost LESS than gas. Eventually, it caught up and readjusted itself to ~50 cents more than gas, just like before. Diesel will come down equally as much as gas, just give it time.

That's why I'm looking ha..

Josh thanks for the good info I'm gonna dig deeper

It seems all the trucks in my price range are all over 100k miles hmm might have tolook further into this tranny issues

100K on the motors is nothing. Check with the owner/dealer as in how the truck was used. There's no need to re-build the tranny @ 100K unless it's slipping. I'd just keep an eye on it, since most of the 7.3 powerstrokes/5.9 Cummins can make over 600RWTQ with minimal mods. Big reason I want diesel is power, towing, and milage. Can't beat 21+ MPG.

What is your price range? Any what are you looking for: reg cab ext cab crew cab 4wd 2wd long bed short bed?

Around 12-17k wanted a 4wd has to be at least extended cab an has to be diesel for its performance an relialbility

Phil funny u say that... I'm sure ill make it so it will still rock ur ass 40+psi of boost woooo haha