Looking for fun car project- any suggestions?

hpfiend

Hey guys/gals-

I guess I should have titled that a fun yet practical car project.

My dad and I have always done car projects together starting with a porsche 924 we put a 4.3L EFI V6 in when I was about 17 to most recently my 5.0 coupe I just sold back in August- we turned literally every bolt on that car other than the suspension and shortblock.

The problem is what do you do with it when finished for justification to recover any cost, use it, or just get rid of it to clear space. We enjoy working on them and building them but don't want to daily drive them- we already have nice/fun cars for that.

It could be as simple as buying something cool with a blown engine and rebuilding it (the only thing we haven't done mechanically) and selling it when done. Anyone done that? Maybe a DSM or 240SX something young people like? Maybe a motorcyle?

We could do one of those 110/220 volt EV conversions to a wrecked civic or something and use it to go to the post office or commuting...

Full kit cars, at least the ones that I am aware of, cost too much and are too hard to sell and most times are completely impractical.

I am tempted by a budget monster miata or v8 rx7 but I am sure the market for those is terrible as well and they probably get super expensive by the time you are done and driveable.

ohhh... Anyone know anything about the grassroots $2008 challenge or something like that? That would be pretty good... maybe a columbus racing, buckeyestangs, columbus dsm, stangbangerz, etc $2009 challenge? At least there would be a purpose to the construction and costs would be reasonable.

hmm maybe a super budget monster miata/rx7 v8 for that...

Kind of like pine wood derby on an adult scale-

I don't have a preference.

A car that looks like a yugo that will out handle a z06 would be cool, a car that looks like a sl55 that drives like a yugo would be cool if we learned about body work, or a yugo that could out accelerate a crotch rocket would be nice as well.

The important thing is that it wouldn't be too expensive and can be liquidated or used for some practical purpose or competition rather easily.

We already have 841 hp between us in great handling, factory engineered cars that we drive almost daily.

I've debated the Porsche idea too. Got a customer we're doing a custom exhuast/longtubes on a 85' 928 with a eaton MP112 on it. Do a 944 with a 302 :)

You know that would be sweet I always was leaning the ls1 route before I got my current car but much more expensive/porschehybrids.com (about 25K)--- I doubt I could do it for $2009 dollars or even under 10 grand.

I really like the 914/302 idea better though but man those porsche parts are expensive and they are such rust buckets- if I was going to pony up again for a porsche project I would probably do something 914 related. That v6 was 4.4" shorter even though it was the same width and that was a cramped mofo- they now put them in from the bottom which they claim is easier...

I don't have a preference.

A car that looks like a yugo that will out handle a z06 would be cool, a car that looks like a sl55 that drives like a yugo would be cool if we learned about body work, or a yugo that could out accelerate a crotch rocket would be nice as well.

The important thing is that it wouldn't be too expensive and can be liquidated or used for some practical purpose or competition rather easily.

We already have 841 hp between us in great handling, factory engineered cars that we drive almost daily.

I would check out the Miata Ideathere are deals out there. Kits can be had to put ls1's and 302's in them. I ould love to see a 302 in a Miata supercharged that would be one hell of a SCCA track car if you can make it stick.

What about a LS1 240?

rx7 FC

Lexus Is300 LS1

And for the matter of you seling the cars.. Fuck that Im keeping all my cars I build or put time into. No reasn to sell exspecially when you have a one of a kind car no one can duplicate.

On top of that most tell you they wish thy could of kept there first race car.

I think the LS1 Is300 would be dope. A lil boost wold make that thing a living nightmare.

Just gotta ask yourself how much you wanna spend.

I would check out the Miata Ideathere are deals out there. Kits can be had to put ls1's and 302's in them. I ould love to see a 302 in a Miata supercharged that would be one hell of a SCCA track car if you can make it stick.

What about a LS1 240?

rx7 FC

Lexus Is300 LS1

And for the matter of you seling the cars.. Fuck that Im keeping all my cars I build or put time into. No reasn to sell exspecially when you have a one of a kind car no one can duplicate.

I think the LS1 Is300 would be dope. A lil boost wold make that thing a living nightmare.

I need to prof read my shit, I just hit keys and dont giv a shit..:bangbang:

??? with blown engine? up the boost? 2009 challenge?

You could probably get a running one for under $2009. There are plenty of sites with info on how to make them go retard fast for little to no money.

Shit, don't limit it to just Omnis, there are plenty of other turbocharged k-cars you can use. Some of which are incredibly sleeper.

I liked the S14 LS1 even built a spread sheet on it... that too was about 25 grand when all done.

FC rx7 can be about 8-10 if you use a 5.0 or LT1.

Thanks for the suggestions-

I am leaning right now to less involved/cheaper projects... nothing earth shattering

probably budget 5 grand with a 10 grand final cost ;-) Ideally it woudl be 1000-5000 though.

I liked the S14 LS1 even built a spread sheet on it... that too was about 25 grand when all done.

FC rx7 can be about 8-10 if you use a 5.0 or LT1.

Thanks for the suggestions-

I am leaning right now to less involved/cheaper projects... nothing earth shattering

Miata. 5.0

All cheap.

You could probably get a running one for under $2009. There are plenty of sites with info on how to make them go retard fast for little to no money.

Shit, don't limit it to just Omnis, there are plenty of other turbocharged k-cars you can use. Some of which are incredibly sleeper.

thanks for the suggestion! DEfinitely what I had in mind- I even entertain the 1g dsm thing too even though I have heard nightmares.

this sounds perfect miller- any details on the competition? a CR event?

Ya andrew my dude said something about entering let me search around a bit

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_lists/high_performance/features_classic_cars/beaters_rule_the_24_hours_of_lemons_feature

I don't see any mention of the schedule for 2009

Guest Removed

What about a LS1 240?

rx7 FC

Lexus Is300 LS1

all of those have been done..do something no one else has!