Computer in aquarium

DLN1223

I saw this a while ago, it's a pretty cool premise, I'd imagine that being suspended in liquid would keep the processor cooler and help it run faster...But how often would you have to change the liquid, wouldn't it get kinda funky after a while?

You can submerge electronics in any liquid that is not conductive. That includes water. Pure water is not conductive. What makes it conductive is all the minerals and deposits in it. Didnt any of you take chemistry in high school?

yes I get it, but what about stuff "growing" in the liquid... I'd imagine that you'd have to change it at certain intervals to keep the "clarity". Or am I off base?

• 1 year later...
84c is pretty damn high...throw a pump and some rads on that thing and OC the hell out of it :cool:

pump it through a mini fridge during the summer and then have extended lines to set the radiator out your window during the winter

i don't really see the point, you can liquid cool much easier, and cleaner than dunking your whole spread in a laxative aquarium.

Temperature consistancy. It takes a lot longer for the temperature to increase. Also, there aren't any hot spots. They said the original system ran at 70-80c (IIRC) which is hot, but that they never had any issues, since it was all that temperature, and it didn't spike up or down in temperature. Adding a radiator and a pump to circulate the oil through it, the temps dropped big time. They have it all on their website that Casper linked to.

People have been doing this for years. Of course it's not really a practical application it's just cool. Flounder is right, anything non-conductive will work. From what I've read the key is to use something to circulate the liquid otherwise the temp will slowly rise.

Also see peltier coolers, cooling with refrigerator compressors, water cooling and using the radiators out of small cars.

I think I saw Toms hardware temporarily cool a processor with liquid nitrogen for an over clock run awhile back too. It's all just fun.

Personally, I have always felt a big assed heat sink in an air cooled system is the most practical, submersion cooling would just be too messy.

I actually always thought this was one of the coolest solutions out there. Pretty pricey though. The case is the heatsink. Since the heatsink is so big it doesn't require a fan. If I remember correctly they say if you want to overclock you should point a box fan at the case.

http://www.devhardware.com/c/a/Computer-Cases/Zalman-TNN-500A-Fanless-PC-Case-Review/

Edited by vw151