Shotgun recommendations?

hpfiend

I am right down the road from Powder Room. http://www.blackwingsc.com

cool I will check it out this week... dumb question but do you sell self defense 9mm ammo there?

I have been using winchester target rounds in the past but wanted to try out some new stuff with the economy as it is and the increased number of break-ins.

We sell all kinds, you'll have about 8+ different brands of HD to choose from.

Yes, I highly recommend 9mm self-defense ammo. With its speed and weight it has a higher propensity to penetrate walls and homes than other hand gun caliber ammo.

I once had a Maverick 88 (Mossberg 500's Cheap Little Brother).

This gun was a jam-o-matic. I would not hunt with one, let alone risk my life on it.

:thumbup:

KillJoy

a buddy of mine has hunted with a Mossberg Maverick 88 for the last 4 years and hasn't had a single problem. not even a jam.

I have hunted with a Mossberg 835 and last year with a Maverick 88

a buddy of mine has hunted with a Mossberg Maverick 88 for the last 4 years and hasn't had a single problem. not even a jam.

I have hunted with a Mossberg 835 and last year with a Maverick 88

Werd.

I'm an advocate for both the Mossy 500 and the Remmy 870.

Funny thing is, my 500 has been FLAWLESS. Not a single quirk. My 870 on the other hand, can't (well, couldn't. I fixed the problem) extract a shell to save it's (or my) life. Seems Remington got a bit carried away with the coating inside the chamber, and upon firing a shell (doesn't matter what kind), the brass would flare out just enough to get the shell stuck. Up until I fixed the problem, I would literally have to hold the gun by the forearm and slam the butt on the ground to extract it. How's that for reliability?

I've since taken some steel wool to the chamber to wear away some of the excessive coating Remington left behind and it's been fine ever since.

Both guns were bought brand new.

I just recently bought a Mossberg 500 and I love it. I have never really liked shotguns and especially not pump shotguns but I absolutely love them now. Only problem is that it came with two way too long barrels. (I use the glock for home defense so its not too big of an issue.) Mine was $279 at buckeye outdoors and it came with a shot barrel w/ 3 chokes and a rifled slug barrel. My buddy bought a Home defense model for $200 at a recent gunshow, it holds like 7-8 shells and has an 18.5" barrel.

I just recently bought a Mossberg 500 and I love it. I have never really liked shotguns and especially not pump shotguns but I absolutely love them now. Only problem is that it came with two way too long barrels. (I use the glock for home defense so its not too big of an issue.) Mine was $279 at buckeye outdoors and it came with a shot barrel w/ 3 chokes and a rifled slug barrel. My buddy bought a Home defense model for $200 at a recent gunshow, it holds like 7-8 shells and has an 18.5" barrel.

The slug barrel was why it was expensive. I got my Maverick 88 for $160 with a 28" smooth barrel.

You can pick up the 18.5" for less than a hundred I believe. check out

http://www.gunbroker.com

http://www.auctionarms.com

...I've hunted since I was around 14

I've had a mossberg 500, remington 870, remington1100, rem1187

And I settled on the 9200

Enjoy, if you buy a pump. Because...you'll be wishing it were an auto the first time you go hunting

There's a mossberg 9200 combo (deer barrel) in the local paper for $400 - seems like a much better deal than a $300 wingmaster

but feel free to listen to the other recommenders :)