Dogs... Boxers

SilverEvo8owner

Anybody one here have a boxer? I have been wanting a dog for a while and lately I have been leaning towards a Boxer. How are these dogs? Do they have any health issues? How are they obedience wise, energy level, mischievous, and temperament? Does anybody know of any breeders?

Thanks Chris

I have not personally had one but I have friends that have them and my aunt has had one for as long as I can remember and I can tell you that they are ALL great dogs. They have a very sweet personality and will not fuck around when it comes to protecting the home. The only health things that I have heard of are hip problems but, that seems to be like most dogs.

Lots of energy....they literally box with front paws. No health issues for either since i've had. They shake a lot like they are wet. No drooling. Very protective of women. If the fiance and I are wrestling...they freak out. Very protective of property...Bark anytime they hear anything strange or the doorbell rings. Not much shedding. Needle type hair. Love water...Will swim until drown(I had to swim out after)....Only use front paws to splash splash!! They drink alot at every serving and guaranteed to puke the water everytime, so they dont drink in the house. Tough bastards...all muscle.

Wow, those are two beautiful dogs you got.

Thanks!!!

Lots of energy....they literally box with front paws. No health issues for either since i've had. They shake a lot like they are wet. No drooling. Very protective of women. If the fiance and I are wrestling...they freak out. Very protective of property...Bark anytime they hear anything strange or the doorbell rings. Not much shedding. Needle type hair. Love water...Will swim until drown(I had to swim out after)....Only use front paws to splash splash!! They drink alot at every serving and guaranteed to puke the water everytime, so they dont drink in the house. Tough bastards...all muscle.

Thanks!!!

Small children may need saving.... ;)

My wife wont let me get a Boxer, says they are to energetic. So we have a St. Bernard Mix and a Rot Mix. I would love to have a pure bred Saint or Rot as well.

Thanks!!!

I've got a boxer as well and would agree to everything said here but... My dog does not bark. I mean maybe every so often but mostly because our other dog starts the barking. She still does a good job of protecting the house though, even without barking. She will run to the door and stare down the person until someone answers it.

And secondly, our boxer is deathly afraid of water. We tried to take her swimming and she had none of that and now literally runs away from swimming pools/ponds.

Can you live with this all day and night? BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK

If so, cool have fun. Alex got a boxer pup when I lived with him and that's all I heard.. could never sleep.

thats all puppies, comes with the territory..

not my lab, he never really barked much unless he is playing.

As far as boxers go they are awesome dogs, as with any dog, if you dont know how to train them properly they can be alot of trouble. Boxers NEED to vent thier energy regularly, if not they can be destructive.

Had them growing up and have two of my own.

Areas: Black Faced Male, 78lbs

Jasmine: Flashy Fawn, 77lbs

http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/17722332/medium.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/20430594/medium.jpg

Get them from a reputable breeder. They are more popular now that years ago and unfortunately that has lead to poor breeding in many cases. Cancer/turmors...most benine is common. Look out for skin allergies. Diet is especially important as they do have sensitive stomachs. Hip displasia...get them screened / warrantied for this. It's present at birth and can be detected.

They are very active, love to play and litterally will out-puppy any dog I know. They settle down somewhat at age 2-3 and then again 5-7. Ours play like no get-out and they are ages 8.5yrs and 11.5yrs. You'd never guess they'd play like this.

I definitely recommend training. They are very loyal and great dogs if trained properly. Otherwise, they can be a handful. Nice thing is they don't tend to chew up the house like a lab or other breeds that typically do. They are not one owner dogs, but they will become protective of a family. Great with kids.

They are also very strong. Our female has a deeper chest and is stronger than the male. She broke two training collars as a young pup. A buddy of mine who was about 250lbs at the time tried rough-housing her outside one time and found out that she can jump like a dear, is fearless and strong as hell. Knocked him on his can with complete ease. :D

Any other questions, let me know. You're close to me so if you want, you're welcome to come over and meet them. You'll witness first hand what a "Kidney Bean" dance is :D Just PM me. I'm usually around as I have a home office.

And secondly, our boxer is deathly afraid of water. We tried to take her swimming and she had none of that and now literally runs away from swimming pools/ponds.

That's odd...Both of mine with jump into water on sight. We take to Antrim park and they swim. Well, what they consider swimming. It's quite the sight..they can't swim at all but goes out there...I had to swim out and grab Tyson cause he ran out of gas too far out. Also, my dogs never bark unless they see a person they dont know or the doorbell rings. If they are in the yard and a person walks by....BARK BARK!! Just the way I like it.

Yes! Boxers are GREAT dogs. I have a 4 year old boxer and he's crazy. They're very playful and have lots of personality but they are also very obedient and smart. Mine hardly barks at all and is very protective of me and my GF. Probably one of the best dog’s I’ve ever had.

Oh, my dog has never been leashed really. Tyson will not run off for any reason. Other dogs, cats, squirrels, monkeys, etc. He looks at them and ears go up then I say "dont even think about it". He continues to follow.

If you decide you want another type of bull I can get you a KILLER DEAL on an OEB

http://www.i7-d.com/thorne/theboys/100_0481.JPG

My aunt is a breeder and with her cancer and shit going on she needs to get rid of some of here dogs. I'm not sure how old they all are but if your interested shoot me apm.

Great info from everone thanks a lot. My concern is that I am at school so all kinds of people come and go. So I am concerned if they will try to be over protective or sociable. I am glad to hear that they are not a one owner dog. I don't think that I would have a problem keeping it occupied but I would just hope that if I leave the house that it wouldn't tear it apart. Also barking all the time would drive my roommates mental.

Color wise, I am more interested in a flashy fawn rather than the darker colored ones.

How is the demeanor between males and females? I assumed that females would be a little less crazy so I am leaning more that way. I have never had a dog before so I want to be wary of a dog that will be a problem to train or control.

Tim, a 77lb female seems huge! Is it common for them to get that big? I don't know if I or my belongings could handle an 80 lb dog.

American Bulldogs > Boxers

http://a196.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/32/l_2b4836c89c26f8cf9c4d20663e132aeb.jpg

http://a846.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/104/l_6a2f1c514ac58f7b12d1cb4d52d81dd5.jpg

I'm 6'3

http://a293.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/10/l_bf83e0308b88d9f52723c71677eded4c.jpg

American Bulldogs > boxers =)

OEB's are

1/2 English Bull dog / 1/6 American Pit Bull terrier - 1/6 American Bulldogge - 1/6 Mastiff

They are protective but also listen to commands. i will post a demonstration later if you like.

Great info from everone thanks a lot. My concern is that I am at school so all kinds of people come and go. So I am concerned if they will try to be over protective or sociable. I am glad to hear that they are not a one owner dog. I don't think that I would have a problem keeping it occupied but I would just hope that if I leave the house that it wouldn't tear it apart. Also barking all the time would drive my roommates mental.

I'm biased on kennel training for 1-2yrs with them. Dogs are den animals. Just cover a 24x36 wire kennel with a blanket so they feel safe and content. We kept ours out while we were home but during the night or while we were gone, they were in the kennel. During the 2nd year we gradually let them out "test" them, mainly during the night.....eventually they had the run of the house. Works like a charm. The entire 3rd year they would still look for their kennel to lay down in. Today, our male lays down under anything and our female loves closets, bathrooms and our pantry while we're gone :D

How is the demeanor between males and females? I assumed that females would be a little less crazy so I am leaning more that way. I have never had a dog before so I want to be wary of a dog that will be a problem to train or control.

Female is the way to go. More loving, more caring and aware of their surroundings. Males tend to have a more casual attitude. Females will be more protective too. Especially once we had kids, Jasmine really kicked in her protective behavior. Example....our female will walk around you on the floor even if she's running to the door. Male...he's stepped on my nuts more than I care to admit. If our female has an "accident", it's always in the kitchen. Ares....if he has to piss and can't hold it, it's out where ever he is standing. Thankfully, they are both really good and can go 10hrs+ without accidents.

Tim, a 77lb female seems huge! Is it common for them to get that big? I don't know if I or my belongings could handle an 80 lb dog.

60-80lbs is pretty common really. She is on the larger more muscular side. Very deep chest and thick neck. They weigh about the same but I swear she looks 10lbs larger. She leveled off at 50lbs at about 2yrs, then from there to about age 4 she grew to 65-70. The last few lbs came on slowly. She's very muscular but then we do give them plenty of exercise, so while lean, they both definitely bulked.

Well I wanna show-off my hooch!!! This is my boy Gixxer get it (GSX-R) He is 5 years old and I have had him since he came out of his mother's twat!!! I breed his mother and kept him out of the litter. He has been around kids since day one and only training he has had is from what I have taught him. He can walk off his leash and not run off sit stay lay down give hugs and handshake. Even if he does run off I can call him and he comes back. He is also kennel trained by me as well. He is very loyal even when we go to the dog park he wants to sit under my feet and not be social. I could not ask for a better dog. I have had 4 boxers 3 females and this one male and I have to say I like the males better training wise. The females were notorious for running off and being gone for hours. But like someone said before the famles are protective with kids. When me and my sons would wrestle around the house the female would come inspect and even growl or snap if one of the boys started whinning while having them in the headlock!!! lol But with boxers be prepared for farting, sighing, farting and more farting. Thankfully have not had one with cancer Gixxer's mom did have alergies but I learned an old school trick of giving them benedryl!!!! And it worked!!! We should have a boxer/car meet!!!

http://i34.tinypic.com/19muew.jpg